Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Loose, watery stools- cause/what to do?

Hi ladies-

I've got a call out to my ped about this, but wanted to check with your experience as well.  LO is breastfed for most of her feedings but does get 4-8 ounces of Similac Advance formula during the day due to my supply issues.

She's had loose, watery stools before, but they seem to be a little more prevalant in the last few days. The poops are very smelly and vary from yellow to olive green in color and are watery and seedy (also causing a lot more blowouts due to the looseness- not fun), but she typically only has one or two a day (usually within 30 minutes of each other and then nothing the rest of the day/night).

Nothing has really changed in her diet or mine recently- so I'm not sure what could be going on or what to do.  Thoughts?

BFP #1- 4/2011; DD Brynn born 12/2011

BFP #2- 7/13; EDD- 4/2/14; Lost DS at 20 weeks (11/16/13) due to cord accident

BFP #3- 3/14; EDD- 11/28/14; Lost DD at 15 weeks (6/7/14)- cause unknown

To my angels- I held you every second of your lives and I'll love you every second of mine.

Re: Loose, watery stools- cause/what to do?

• Options
    My dd was having the same problem but gas as well and found out its a dairy allergy. Now that I am eating dairy free, no more constant blow outs! I hope you don't have to give up dairy though...good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I brought LO to the ped for this when he was about 4 weeks old. Dr. said since he was gaining fine and eating fine there was nothing to worry about. He just said to try to pay attention to if it had any correlation to what I eat. It's common for babies to be sensitive to dairy, for example. Also make sure she has enough wet diapers so you know she's not dehydrated.

The issue passed for us. Now (at 11 weeks, and this started at 8 weeks) he only poops every 5 days and it's soft and yellow.

image  image

• Loading the player...
  • Options

She has pretty consistent wet diapers, which is why I haven't totally freaked out yet (since I wasn't concerned about dehydration). This has been more prevalent in the last few weeks (of course, just after her 2 month appointment almost 3 weeks ago, and she's not due back in for another 4 weeks), so I won't know how she's gaining until then unless ped has us come to get checked out.

If it's a sensitivity, I honestly don't know if I'll keep trying to breastfeed- I just feel like this will be yet another obstacle to overcome. Fingers crossed that it doesn't come to that... :-(

To my angels- I held you every second of your lives and I'll love you every second of mine.

• Options

imagectrfrei1:
    My dd was having the same problem but gas as well and found out its a dairy allergy. Now that I am eating dairy free, no more constant blow outs! I hope you don't have to give up dairy though...good luck!

How did you find out that it was a dairy allergy? Just trial and error on what reduced the symptoms or is there some sort of test?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"