Breastfeeding

Tell me how you scald your milk

I have excess lipase in my milk.  DS1 never had a problem with it so I never had to worry about scalding, but DS2 does not like it once it is over 3 weeks old from the freezer.  I don't even want to think about how many oz I won't be able to use at this point so I'm just looking forward.  I read about using a bottle warmer to scald.  Has anyone else done this?  If so, what is your method?  What temp do you shoot for and for how long? How long does your milk last in the deep freezer once you do this? Any other tricks or things you've learned about this problem along the way I am eager to hear!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tell me how you scald your milk

• I have discovered that I also have an excess lipase issue. I am a FTM so I don't have any great tips or tricks, I just wanted to say that I pump right before bed and right after their first morning feeding and usually refridgerate the milk for 3-4 days before I have a good amount (usually around 55oz) then I scald it all in a saucepan on the stove. I heat it until it is steaming and there are small bubbles starting to form around the edges. Then I let it cool for a little while and use a turkey baster (ha. I know this is awful but it was the best method I could think of! And we bought a brand new one just for this purpose) to measure the milk into 5oz portions in Lansinoh bags. From there it goes straight into the freezer!

I have no idea how long the milk lasts in the freezer after I do this. Honestly I have an oversupply and my girls don't really like to take bottles so I have over 1500oz of frozen BM that I'm not sure I will ever need! I am going to look into donation soon.

DON'T let your previously frozen milk go to waste!! Mix it with a little fresh milk or formula (if you're not opposed) and you LO will probably take it without a problem! That is too much hard work to let go to waste!!

Married 8.4.07
    BFP #1 4.15.11 Twin girls born 11/17/11
    BFP #2 10/16/13 m/c at 9w
    BFP #3 4/7/14 EDD 12/13/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"