Breastfeeding

What is your nursing schedule like?

Hi Ladies!  My LO is just over 6 months old and she has had nothing but breastmilk all her life.  She is petite and is about the 10th percentile and I still need to nurse her about every 1.5 hours.  She is full after nursing on one side, and doesn't want to have anything to do with the other side until her next feed.  She is a very happy baby and certainly doesn't seem hungry or fussy, and she goes for about 7 hours at night without needing to be fed.  When she drinks from a bottle when I am at work, she drinks about 3 oz at a time and doesn't want any more at a feed.  So my question is, does nursing her every 1.5 hours sound like a lot?  I know breastmilk is digested within about 2 hours, so my gut tells me we're okay, but I hear so many stories about babies going 3 hours or longer (maybe they are formula-fed) that I started to wonder.  TIA for sharing your schedules and input!

I am so in love with my precious little miracle!

Re: What is your nursing schedule like?

• If she is happy, growing and having plenty of wet and poopy diapers she is fine. All babies are different.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• When we're at home we nurse about 2 hours. If we're out and about she can go 3-4 hours if I feed her right before we leave the house.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Does she eat as frequently when given a bottle?  I've found that my LO will go a little longer between feedings from a bottle than she will from the breast sometimes.  Maybe because she doesn't have to work quite as hard for it?  But I'd say you're perfectly normal.  Some days we go 1.5 hours, sometimes as long as 3.5 hours.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagefarmerswife610:
     I've found that my LO will go a little longer between feedings from a bottle than she will from the breast sometimes.

This.  On weekdays, LO eats every 3 hours (give or take) at daycare from a bottle.  Sometimes she wants it sooner.  I asked them not to go much beyond 3.5 hours without feeding her because I want her to get her calories during th day so she sleeps at night.  When we are home on the weekends, sometimes she goes 3 hours between BFing, but sometimes we revert to a 2 hour schedule.  It can be all over the map.  Usually she eats about 6-7 times a day.  She sleeps about 11 hours straight at night.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"