August 2011 Moms

Head to big

At Olive's 6 month check-up her head jumped up off the curve. We didn't think much of it because Ellie's did to and by 7 months it was on a new curve. We went in today to have Olive's head checked again and it jumped again instead of making a new curve. We now have to go have a CT done to make sure there is nothing else going on. I was wondering if anyone else is dealing with this? Ellie had to have head u/s as an infant and CT done but that was in the NICU so I'm not exactly sure what happens and I don't want to google so I was wondering if anyone else can share their experience if they have any. Thanks!

Re: Head to big

• I do not have any experience but wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you.  We just had DD's 6 month check up yesterday and her head is in the 96%.  The doctor said that if she wasn't developing normally they would be worried but since she is doing well she just has a big head.  They told me they would keep an eye on it but it really wasn't anything to worry about if LO was reaching all of her milestones.  Good luck!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Logan just went for his last (I think) synagis shot on Thursday and I had my husband ask about the size of the soft spot while he was there.  Its still a little big and I havent noticed much change in it recently.  The doctor checked it out and said it seems ok, he does have a big head so a larger soft spot makes sense.  She also asked if he was doing well developmentally and since he is there wasnt anything to worry about.  She measured his head again and went through his charts, his head size is increasing every time they do it but when I did a growth chart he measured in the 75th percentile. 

The funny thing is...on the print out they gave us it said "your child was seen in our office today and was diagnosed with large head".  I almost died when I read that,  I was laughing so hard I barely got through reading the rest of the paper.  He didnt go to the doctor for his head, he went for shots.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't, but my nephew had an exceedingly large head.  He finally grew into it about a year ago - he's 10.  He looked like a bobble head for a long time.  He did have some developmental delays early on, though those are gone now.  It turned out, after much testing, that he just has a large head. 

A friend of mine had the same issue with her son and the same result.  Some babies just have large heads. 

Just to warn you, when they're testing babies in things like CT scans where they have to be still, they typically put them under.  Scared the bejesus out of my sister and BIL, but it all turned out fine.  I hope you have the same end result. 

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"