Pregnant after 35
Options

First Tri-Screen--Suspicions of dialated kidneys-any experiences

I am 38 pregnant with my second, we had our first tri screen, everything looked goodEXCEPT, possible dialation of the kidneys, Im 11.4 weeks, and they didnt seem real sure, they were not reassuring and I have to go back at 14 or so weeks.  Im not freaking out, I am just overwhelmed.  I have not got the number portion of the tests back either which adds to the waiting game. 

i know this could totally resolve itself and it couldve been nothing, I just feel like this pregancy has started off rocky and I need a little insight if anyone else has dealt with this early on.

I have read lots of stories at 20 plus weeks, thinking its more common then because most routine scans are done then.  Any thoughts or experiences  Thank you:)Surprise

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: First Tri-Screen--Suspicions of dialated kidneys-any experiences

• Options

So sorry you are dealing with this.

I have no experience with it, but it certainly sounds familiar, so I'm wondering if its somewhat common?  If so, I'm hoping someone here will chime in with a positive story for you.  Also, babycenter.com has a ton of message boards on prenatal testing, kidney issues, poor prenatal diagnosis, etc.  Perhaps someone over there can be more helpful. 

I pray that everything is ok with your LO.  GL.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you very much i appreciate it!  Good Luck to you as well!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    at 17 weeks, our daughter had extra dialation in her kidneys.  The doctor got me panicked at first, but I have read that it is very common, especially in boys (of course we were having a girl) and especially early on, the ureturs (sp?) like to kink and block up the flow of the urine, causing extra dialation in the kidneys.  we had a second scan at 23 weeks and the issue had resolved itself, which the doctor told us (at the 2nd scan) "oh it usually resolves itself" --- WHERE was that info with the first scan!!!!  I am not a doctor, but I did experience this same panic.  I am sure your baby is probably healthy and will be fine.  Remember, and this can be hard to do: most pregnancies are healthy and fine.  when we hear war stories from veterans, or all of the possilbe complications it scares us.  I hope the best for you and good luck
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Thank you!  It's nice to hear good stories, i appreciate you taking the time to comment, the waiting is half the battle.  Good Luck to you:)

• Options

With my first pregnancy, they discovered both kidneys were enlarged at my 18 week ultrasound.  Having been through a "severe" case, I can tell you it's still nothing to get too worried about.  I stressed about it for over a year, but our little guy is just fine!  MANY of these cases resolve themselves during pregnancy.  Those that don't often resolve themselves in the first year or two of life.

My DS had one kidney that resolved in the first year, and the other required surgery.  We had ultrasounds frequently through the pregnancy to keep an eye on it, and some testing when he was about a week old to confirm the cause of the enlargement.  (Most often it's a UPJ obstruction)

We would never have known that anything was wrong with our DS had it not been for the ultrasounds.  He was happy and healthy, and he had surgery at 6 months old, and less than a week later was back to his normal self!  I know how stressful it can be to hear this news, but it was genuinely never an issue, and worst case, you can survive quite happily with only one kidney!  

Best of luck, and I hope the rest of your results come back perfectly and that your little one's kidneys turn out to be just fine!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"