Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Genetic testing showed Trisome 21 - Downs

My wife got the results back yesterday of the genetic testing they did after the D&C.  The doctor said that it showed an extra chromosome which means it would have had downs syndrome. 

She was pretty upset because the Dr. didn't think it was a big deal, and just said we should try again.

She is worried now about having a kid with downs.  We are both older, and this would be our first.

Any of you had this testing and then went on to have a healthy baby?

Re: Genetic testing showed Trisome 21 - Downs

• Options

I think most Dr.s feel like if they can tell you there was a definitive reason for the m/c then you should feel better. Of course that's not the case.

My Dr. told me I have no higher risk than anyone else would for having another pregnancy with a chromosome issue, except my age does factor in. At 39 I have a 1 in 40 chance of it happening again, however he did say the odds were still very much in my favor that it wouldn't. My first pregnancy and loss there was no genetic or chromosome issue and that was only a year ago so I think you shoudl remain positive.

nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I havent had thos experience- however I have a friend who had 2 miscarriages due to trisomy 21- and then went on to have a normal healthy pregnancy... so it is definitely possible... I dont think your chance increases after having that diagnosis- you still have the same chance that you would have had before...Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker BFP #7 2/4/13- EDD 10/20/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't know if this will make anyone feel better or worse, but I would have a party for a 1 in 40 chance of a repeat.  In our case, the condition they suspect my daughter of having is likely recessive genetic - which means a 25% chance of happening with any pregnancy. Always extremely severe, always fatal.  

And as for downs - again, not sure this helps anyone at all, but we do have 2 friends who have children with downs and they have been a tremendous surprise blessing to their families.  Yes, they deal with things that other families don't, but so does everyone.  There is a writing called "Welcome to Holland" that has been helpful to them both (and me).

My best to you in whatever you decide going forward, sometimes I wonder if all the info we have access to is really such a great thing.

Hugs,
    Jenn 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"