Baby Showers

Is this ok??

My mom wants to throw my shower June 3rd. I'm due mid-July, I personally would like to have it late April early May that way my husband and I can slowly pick up the things we will still need after the shower, because I am sure we will still need things as I don't have too many friends and a lot of our family members are really out of town (like across the country) and have already said they won't be coming to the baby shower. My mom hasn't officially started planning it, but is it ok to request it a little earlier. From the day we told her we were expecting it's like she has set this date in stone. Seriously Christmas eve after we told her she ran over to the calendar to look. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Is this ok??

• I don't see why not. If anyone offers to throw us a shower I'm going to ask if it can be kind of early. It would be a 5 hour drive for us and given my high risk status, I wouldn't feel comfortable making that trip after 28-30 weeks. With high blood pressure being one issue, there is a good chance that I may be barred from traveling at all after a certain point, the baby could come early, or I could be put on bed rest--all long before the time when a traditional shower might be held.

Without a medical reason, I wouldn't demand a certain date but I see nothing wrong with telling your mom that another date might work best for you if it could work for her as well.

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • It's fine to ask, but don't push the issue if she cannot accommodate you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageDO-JO:
    It's fine to ask, but don't push the issue if she cannot accommodate you.
    This.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I agree that it is OK to ask but if she has a date in mind then she has a the final say since she is the hostess. 

What you could do is pick things up before the shower, keep the receipt and return what you get as gifts.  There will always be things you'll have to pick up after the shower though.  The other thing is just to save the money from now until the shower that you might have had to use if there had been no shower.  That way if you get a lot off your registry items from guests you'll have extra $$ in the bank.

• I agree it's okay to ask but don't push. Just keep mind the list of what a newborn needs as compared to your entire registry are probably very different. Even after baby comes you will have some time to buy the things you need. The Internet is a wonderful resource.
  • Thank you everyone so much for all of your input. I don't plan on pushing her, just asking politely. Just wondering if it was ok to ask at all. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thank you everyone for all of your advice! I truly appreciate it! I was able to talk to my mom and we went through her calendar, unfortunately we ended up settling for the following week in June because that's when we were able to get the venue we are having it. It being in the spring there are a lot of weddings, and communions, and things of that nature. But I figure we can ask for gift receipts just in case, and we can put aside a little money every week to get the things we need if there is anything we really really need that we don't get at our shower. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"