High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

What to expect with high blood pressure?

I had my first OB appt last week at 8 weeks. During that visit my blood pressure was 144/96. I was nervous and assumed that was why. To be safe my midwife asked me to come in today and have it checked again. It was still high - 140/90. I'm 38 yrs old and slightly overweight so she is sending me to a high-risk physician. I'm freaked out and scared. I've never had a problem before so I'm wondering why now? Has anyone else gone through this that can ease my mind a little and let me know what to expect at my first visit with the high-risk Dr?
BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: What to expect with high blood pressure?

• Options

I had HBP before pregnancy. At one regular doctor visit back in October it was 190 over 80-90 (can't remember exactly) so they put me on HCTZ immediately. I was told to stop as soon as I got pregnant. Since then, I've been monitored. 

A trip to the ER early on for a Rhogam shot (I had a little spotting and it was a holiday; midwife suggested the ER) ended with me on Labetalol. No wonder my BP was through the roof--they messed up on several accounts, told me to prepare for an emergency surgery due to ectopic thanks to a doctor who didn't know how to do an ultrasound, and ended 6 hours into the ordeal with conformation that everything was FINE. My first check after starting the Labetalol was 104/70. Doc said there was absolutely no need for my BP to be so low, so I was told to stop the meds and they've just been monitoring me ever since.

Last time I was 133/80-ish. I was told they may or may not accept 140/80 but around there is when they'd try meds again. I fully expect to be put back on meds at some point. Unfortunately I am going to the Medicaid clinic at my hospital and they assume I'm stupid, so I haven't been specifically told what could happen, but I am well aware. I was actually asked if I knew what high blood pressure was and if I had heard of pre-eclampsia. They're annoyed when I come in with very specific medical questions, and I had to make them agree to monitor my thyroid levels since I am on meds for that. It really depends on which doctor/student I end up seeing on any given day, though.

I hope there's no bed rest involved for me but there's a high possibility. I want to avoid induction at all costs but of course sometimes that's just not possible, unfortunately. It's a very serious issue but if it is monitored and taken care of as it needs to be, there is a huge chance that everything will be okay!

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • Options

Some women get high blood pressure just when they are pregnant and most doctors do not know why. High Risk doctors are great, they deal with some many different problems pregnancy can cause or medical issues can cause. I have high blood pressure and my MFM has me on twice a day medication and keeps a check on my blood pressure. She will have me do a 24hour urine sample and keep a check on swelling of my legs, feet and hands and might put me on bed rest towards the end of my pregnancy to insure I do not develop pre-e.

Best thing you can do is stay calm, talk to your doctor and as long as your blood pressure is being controlled and they are keeping a close eye on you, you should be just fine. There are alot of women out there that deal with HBP when pregnant and have healthy pregnancy. Just take care of yourself and you will be just fine!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"