Philadelphia Babies

Anyone have tips for the Please Touch Museum or Adventure Aquarium?

We are heading to Philly this Thursday to visit some family and would love to go to one or both of these places. We have a 2 year old (26 months) and a 3 month old, both girls. I would like to go to at least one of them either Thurs or Friday so maybe it won't be as crowded, but I'm not sure which one would be better. If anyone has any tips or suggestions for either of these places I would love the help. Thanks so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone have tips for the Please Touch Museum or Adventure Aquarium?

• welcome to Philly-

BOTH places are a lot of fun- I have a family membership to both-

Couple of suggestions/things to keep in mind.

PTM opens at 9am-

Aquarium opens at 10am-

Either one I would suggest getting there as close to opening as possible- and you can really play/enjoy with less crowds.

for a 2yr old I would really suggest the PTM over the aquarium- I think she would enjoy it a lot more. Esp if you can only do one of the options.

You can park 'off street' with the PTM- and save on parking- its right there- just don't pull in to the lot.

You can bring snacks/lunch to both. Personally I feel if you are going to buy lunch at either the PTM is cheaper. The aquarium food is really overpriced in my opinion.

I would suggest- going downstairs first at the PTM- and hit the grocery store early in the AM- because that gets INSANE later- also check out their new doctor's office/hospital- if you are interested there is a cool exhibit about the Centennial exhibit in philly - but there is tons for the kids to do in there as well- trains, blocks, books. etc.

if you need a 'time out' away from all the busy-ness of hte museum- I always take the kids in to the 'program' room off of the space room- and let them play- there are art projects, a revolving theme project, trucks, books. Just for some quiet play. And then you can get back out and play more.

I think the Please Touch museum 'theater' is blacked out on Thurs- so if you want to see a theater show go on Friday.

Also- the 'water exhibit' gets a lot of play- but is usually less busy around lunch time.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • You are awesome, thank you SO much. I was wondering about parking and about bringing food in and pretty much anything that'll save us some money! I am going to print this off and bring it with me so I don't forget in all of the chaos. My daughter loves "shopping" and anything that has to do with water so I'll make sure to plan our schedule around those two things. Now I'm getting really excited!!! Thanks again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would second getting to the AA as early as possible.  Also, if you want to avoid the gift shop it is the exit after the shark tube (I believe, my brain isn't working).  so you may want to just turn around and go back through the hippos (which are awesome anyway) and go out that way.  Unless you want to do some "shopping" yourself haha
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Honestly- though the crowds are too bad at all at the Please Touch during the week- usually dead as soon as it opens- which is the BEST. All the employees are REALLY awesome to the kids and sometimes play along and interact with the kids.

you can bring food/drinks in to both-

There are soooo many great things to do in the city for kids- we are pretty darn lucky!

Enjoy your stay- and bring your camera to the PTM- there are so much great play there. Great pictures.

And a really cool indoor carousel (which is a really nice spot to also have lunch/snack- as its enclosed by floor to ceiling panaramic windows- very pretty)- definitely ride the carousel- only the kids have to buy a tix- and i think for non members it is 2.00. So both adults can go on with your child- and it costs 2.00

• Honestly- though the crowds are too bad at all at the Please Touch during the week- usually dead as soon as it opens- which is the BEST. All the employees are REALLY awesome to the kids and sometimes play along and interact with the kids.

you can bring food/drinks in to both-

There are soooo many great things to do in the city for kids- we are pretty darn lucky!

Enjoy your stay- and bring your camera to the PTM- there are so much great play there. Great pictures.

And a really cool indoor carousel (which is a really nice spot to also have lunch/snack- as its enclosed by floor to ceiling panaramic windows- very pretty)- definitely ride the carousel- only the kids have to buy a tix- and i think for non members it is 2.00. So both adults can go on with your child- and it costs 2.00

• I would call both places to ask how many groups they have that day.  March is when all the bookings for school groups start and Thurs-Fri are the most popular days.  If you have a bunch of groups there, it can get pretty crazy, especially because in my experience, the majority of them are not the most well-behaved.

If that is the case, I would suggest going later in the day - in the afternoon or even late morning.  The school groups usually arrive right at opening, have lunch around 11:30 and are out of there by 12.  So even if you got there around 11, that would work.  During school group season that is usually my plan.

Mondays at the PTM are group free days.  That doesn't help you now, but for future reference.  Have fun!

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"