Secondary IF

Any chance I'll miss ovulation?

I feel so clueless about this whole process.  Everyone at the fertility clinic talks as if I know what they are talking about and I know I should speak up and ask more questions but I don't.  :-(

I went for my blood work and US this morning.  I measured 13 today (is that the size of my follicle?)  They are having me come back on Thursday for another blood test/US.  They said I would most likely do the trigger shot Thursday evening, TI that night, rest on Friday and IUI on Saturday morning.

So... my question is, is there any chance I'll miss ovulation?  They told me I don't have to use the OPK this month but I normally get a "smiley face" (gotta love Clearblue Easy!!) on day 15 and Thursday will be CD16.

DD conceived naturally in 2009.  TTC #2 since August 2010.  Praying for guidance as we decide what's next.

When the world says, "Give up,"

Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

~Author Unknown

Re: Any chance I'll miss ovulation?

• First of all, please ask as many questions as you need to!  You have a right to know what's going on with your body and a right to be involved in your treatment!

The "13" sounds like it could be one follicle measuring at 13mm.  I'm guessing though.  I don't think there's anything wrong with using the OPK if you want - generally the smiley face means you'll O soon, but it shows a "window" of time, so there's little way of knowing if you are catching the beginning of your surge or the tail end of it unless you use a number of OPKs over the O window.  Also, nothing wrong with having TI on Tuesday and Wednesday too, unless you have MFI issues. 

Not sure I've been much help, but GL!

Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
  • imageJMay:

First of all, please ask as many questions as you need to!  You have a right to know what's going on with your body and a right to be involved in your treatment!

The "13" sounds like it could be one follicle measuring at 13mm.  I'm guessing though.  I don't think there's anything wrong with using the OPK if you want - generally the smiley face means you'll O soon, but it shows a "window" of time, so there's little way of knowing if you are catching the beginning of your surge or the tail end of it unless you use a number of OPKs over the O window.  Also, nothing wrong with having TI on Tuesday and Wednesday too, unless you have MFI issues. 

Not sure I've been much help, but GL!

Yes, that's helpful so thank you.  We have unexplained IF so I'm sure DH would be happy to have extra TI, just in case.  ;-)  I will definitely ask more questions the next time. 

DD conceived naturally in 2009.  TTC #2 since August 2010.  Praying for guidance as we decide what's next.

When the world says, "Give up,"

Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

~Author Unknown

• Loading the player...
  • I am unexplained as well and have been doing IUI with trigger.  I still use OPK even though I am being monitored.   My Dr has us do TI couple days before trigger and then after IUI for a couple days since we have no MFI.

I would call the nurse and tell her you usually get a positive OPK on x cycle day and you are worried you will O early. 

This was my second Femera cycle and I ovulated late last month so they put my u/s for later but I could tell I wasn't going to O late again this month so we bumped it up to my "normal" timing.  I was glad I did because I had mature follicles around 20 and 18, if I had waited until my orginal ultrasound date I probably would have surged.

Even though you are being monitored it doesn't hurt to also "monitor" your own cycle and adjust if needed.

Good luck!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • It sounds about right. If you're at 13 today by Thursday you should be around 18 and that's about the size they're looking for to trigger. People usually ovulate 24-36 hours after the trigger, 36 hours being more common and if you TI the night of trigger you'll cover your bases in case you do ovulate earlier.

Good luck :) 

• imagemeycitaa:

It sounds about right. If you're at 13 today by Thursday you should be around 18 and that's about the size they're looking for to trigger. People usually ovulate 24-36 hours after the trigger, 36 hours being more common and if you TI the night of trigger you'll cover your bases in case you do ovulate earlier.

Good luck :) 

Agreed, meycitaa.  I've read follicles tend to grow one mm per day so you should be fine.  I might continue OPK for peace of mind.  If you don't get a positive until Thursday, you're fine!  But I also wouldn't be afraid to call if you are apprehensive.  The nurse at my office said "If you come in for a surge appointment too early, you can always come back the next day.  But you can never come yesterday!"....in other words, better too early than too late.

TTC #2 for 18 months RE for 7 months progesterone=BFN/ clomid=BFN/ IUI#1 with clomid =BFN laparoscopy-Diagnosed with stage 2 endometriosis. IUI#2 letrozole/follistim combo...baby #2 due 3/23/2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"