Natural Birth

Water Birth or C-Section... or nothing at all...

I have been TTC for almost 8 months now and in that time I have made it my mission to interview, speak to, read about, research etc as much info as possible on peoples birth experiences. From everything Ive taken in, I know that my top choice for when i deliver would be an at home water birth. However, I also know that this is not always an available choice because things can go wrong along the way, etc.

So even though Im not PG yet, and I may be jumping the gun here. I have this very strong feeling that if Im gonna do a vaginal delivery I want it at home, with midwives, in water. But if there is any reason that I need to deliver in a hospital I would rather just have a planned/scheduled c-section without going into labor. From all Ive read, the CS's that are planned/scheduled have far less room for error, and a faster healing/recovery time, less scarring, etc.

I guess my biggest fear is going through what most women consider "normal" birth - in a hospital, hooked up to IVs and moniters, on my back, laboring in pain or being given an epidural, tearing, possible episotimy, pitocin, failure to progress and then emergency c-section. I feel like if there is even the slightest chance of that happening, i would rather just have a scheduled c-section where I am in control of exactly when/where it happens. Even though these two choices are complete polar opposites, i feel very strongly about them. I also feel like a total lunatic for thinking this way and when I bring it up to my friends or husband they think I am being unrealistic. I know things will change and Im fine with that bcs im constantly changing my mind the more i discover

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Water Birth or C-Section... or nothing at all...

• There are many hospitals and birthing centers that will allow you to do a natural birth and water birth. I don't think I have ever seen someone say they would want a water birth at home or a planned csection and have no in between. Csections that aren't medically necessary come with more risk than vaginal birth. 
    dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • I can certainly understand your desire to avoid a typical hospital birth.  I would think about how many kids you want to have.  When you have a cesarean, it casts a shadow over the rest of your reproductive life.  Every time you get pregnant after a cesarean, you are at increased risk for issues like uterine rupture, placenta previa and placenta accreta, all of which can be life threatening to the mother or the baby.  The more cesareans you have, the higher the risk.  And if you decide you want to deliver vaginally in the future, things become complicated because many hospitals either don't allow VBAC or treat them as high risk deliveries.  Many home birth providers and birth centers will not attnd VBAC or are legally prohibited from doing so as well.  So that is something to really think about before having an elective primary cesarean.

Birth does not have to be one extreme or the other.  You can have a nice hospital birth and many people do.  I had a home birth with my second and I think it is a great option too if you can find a good provider.  Personally, as someone who has also had a c/s, I felt very out of control during my c/s.  You can control to an extent when and where you deliver but you are not really in control during birth, however it happens.  There is some element of luck and your provider's skill level that you cannot control.

That said, if you really feel that a c/s is right for you, that is what you should do.  One of my goodriends just had an elective c/s with her first child and she was very happy with how things went.  GL.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I dont want any more then 2 kids. I will be happy with just one. And my first choice would always be at home water birth, but Im saying IF something were to happen, where i was no longer a low-risk pregnancy and HAD to deliver in a hospital. I feel like I would rather schedule the CS then have one done on me during an emergency situation.

• My experience may be relevant to you. 

I had a scheduled csection at 39 weeks with my first and it was one of the worst decisions I ever made.  The surgery was ok, but I was separated from my healthy daughter for 8 hours due to hospital policy.  The recovery was AWFUL.  Really, much much worse than I had anticipated.  I felt like my insides were falling out all of the time.  It was very distracting at a time where I really needed to bond with my new baby.  I always hear women that have vaginal births that they forget the pain the second they are holding their baby.  When you have a csection you are in pain for weeks and I have never forgotten that pain.  I was just talking to my husband today about how huge, ugly and bright magenta my scar is too.  I saw a homebirth video of a vbac and her scar is almost unnoticeable, but I don't know if her csection was just a longer time ago or I heal differently in general or it was the surgeon.  

I honestly can't say enough negative things about my experience and I attribute my severe PPD to my csection.  It has also made this pregnancy so much more difficult and I've had to fight every step of the way for a vaginal birth.  I recently switched to a midwife and am planning a homebirth after my countless hours of research.  I feel it's the safest and best option for my family, BUT never having gone into labor has really played mind games on me and I have these nagging doubts that my body is able to go into labor on and that I will able to birth this baby.  I never had those doubts the first time.  

Not everyone has the same experience as me, but I am in a local group called ICan which is for women that have had previous csections and hundreds of them have almost identical feelings as I have about my csection.  I never thought it would mess with my mind long term the way it has. 

I think it's great that you are educating yourself now. Good luck with your decision.  It's certainly a big one.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Keegan Patrick - Bilateral Clubfeet found at Anatomy Scan. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/portraitave

• Something to think about-- there are some benefits to going into labor before a c-section (especially going into labor without inducing): baby is indicating that he/she has probably matured and is ready to be born, labor helps clear the lungs, and labor creates a hormonal, uh, landscape, for lack of a better word, that is generally helpful for both baby and mother. Just something to consider.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a "emergency" CS due to basically pit/induction after 8 hrs of labor, reaching 10 pushing then DD went into distress.

I can 100% tell you it was worth it to have the chance at a vaginal delivery and my CS was fine and my recovery NBD.

There is NO reason to go all one or the other. Believe me any CS is going to be worse than a Vaginal birth, also you don't have to have an IV or pit or be continuously monitored. 

If you find a good natural birth friendly Dr. You can have a fabulous hospital birth.

And yeah, your risk of death triples with a second CS, and you have all kinds of challenges attempting a VBAC.

it's so not worth it for the convenience of a scheduled CS to avoid a hospital birth.

• I understand the desire for a home/water birth, that'd be my ideal way to do it (unfortunately ins wont cover it =0( ) BUT why opt for a c-sec rather than just go into labor naturally and give birth in a birthing center or hospital? I know it's mothers choice but I think it might be a bit rough (at least I hope) to find a doc willing to proceed with a c-sec without previous indication of needing one. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I completely understand. I had a c-section with my first due to fetal malpositioning. With my second, I was planning a home waterbirth, but I was also very adamant with my midwife that if it looked like I was going to have a more medicalized birth (forceps/episiotomy/pitocin/internal fetal monitoring) that I wanted to just go straight to c-section. I talked about this with her a few times when still pregnant because I didn't want her to think it was just the pain of labour talking if I started requesting a c-section in labour if things weren't going well. My midwife understood and respected my wishes and agreed that if I were to request a c-section for any reason during labour, she would ensure that that happened. Fortunately, I did have a successful home waterbirth, no tearing, no interventions whatsoever.

I know that some people do not understand this all-or-nothing approach, but it makes sense to me.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think that you should take the time you have to research c-sections and natural hospital births or birthing centers in more depth.  I would personally never opt into a c-section without it being for life saving measures.  

I had a wonderful med-free hospital birth.  I labored in the tub and the only reason I had an IV was because I was GBS+.  If I hadn't been, I wouldn't have had an IV placed and I could have opted out of the antibiotics if I had chosen to.  They checked on the baby while I was in the tub, I didn't even have to stand up, and when I chose to go back into the bedroom.  Being strapped to the machine actually helped me get through the harder contractions because I would see them start to go back down and it would help me stay calm through it.  My MW and labor nurse was awesome.  When I told them to leave us alone, they did.  It was only me and DH in the room.  When DH needed a break, they stepped in to help rub my back.  They even came up with alternative options when I didn't think I was going to get through it and I think it was their support that really helped me get the birth I wanted.  Not all hospital births are what you see on TV and there are a lot of hospitals that are amazing with natural births, you just have to do your research and find a provider that will truly support your wishes.

Secondly, there are a lot of things that happen in labor that help your baby physically.  The act of going through the birth canal, being contracted, and being pushed out during delivery all serve a separate function for baby.  It assists in the final stage of lung development, helps invigorate them so they're more alert for nursing, and assists in expelling any fluid they still have in their airway so it is clear when they take their first breaths.  I think it is a disservice to you child to do a scheduled c-section when it isn't medically necessary.  You have plenty of time to make a decision that is most fitting for your family, interview MW's, tour birthing centers, look at hospital stats and make the most informed decision you can possibly make.  GL! 

• I ended up with an unplanned c/s. I had planned a natural birth in a birth center with midwives. Things just didn't work out. I was ten days post dates and DD was starting to show signs of distress. I was transferred to the hospital when DD failed her BPP at the BC. I labored naturally at the hospital for 7 hours. I was allowed intermittent monitoring and was able to do that on the birth ball. I was "allowed" to eat. I did have an IV for my antibiotics as I was GBS+, but don't remember it being particularly annoying. I walked the halls, and did pretty much what I wanted to.

I think it is very short sighted to have the all or nothing thinking. There are a lot of steps between being at home in a tub and being in an OR. I went through most of them.  I think it is important to really focus on the health and well being of you and your LO when you decide which interventions you want to use. They do all have their usefulness in the right situations. 

Personally for me, I was very glad I did everything I could to avoid a c/s and knew it was really necessary for DD's health and well being. I would have really doubted myself if I'd just gone straight to a c/s.  FWIW, though I did labor for about 72 hours total and had a c/s, my recovery was very easy and I don't in any way regret the time laboring in advance.   

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagepepomntpat:

I think it is very short sighted to have the all or nothing thinking. There are a lot of steps between being at home in a tub and being in an OR. I went through most of them.  I think it is important to really focus on the health and well being of you and your LO when you decide which interventions you want to use. They do all have their usefulness in the right situations. 

This is a much nicer way of saying what I'm thinking.

OP, I've had to low-intervention labors (one ended up a c-section, the other was a successful vaginal birth) in the hospital, and I really didn't have to "fight" with my providers on anything. You definitely have to do your homework/research to find a provider you can trust, but it's not impossible to have a low-intervention birth in a hospital.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I haven't gotten a chance to read it but the book "Your Best Birth" is supposed to be a good overview of the many birth options available without being pushy. 

I have chosen to a water birth at a birth center with a midwife because they are very close to a hospital just in case.  I didn?t know that?s what I wanted until I was about 20 weeks along, so way to do your research in advance!

From what I've been reading I would like to still go into labor naturally even if it results in a caesarian birth because naturally going into labor sets off a hormone cascade that among other things prepares a baby's body for the outside, starts milk production and helps ensure that mother and baby are as physically ready as possible. 

The Cesarean rate at the practice I am going to is under 2.5% for births that have been approved for the birth center which I currently am.  If there are problems the midwife/doctors are likely to detect them in advance and tell me I should consider a hospital birth. That's the time when I would consider options like a planned cesarean birth.  From my perspective the 2.5% is low enough I will take the risk of an unplanned Cesarean.

Another good book you might be interested in is "Birthing from Within".  It's the only book I have come across that teaches approaching birth from a mental stand point; how to weed through your thoughts and identify what you need to know to make the right choices for you, your family and your baby.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"