Natural Birth
Options

Waterbirth experiences

I have just started considering having a waterbirth, and it seems like a lot of women have been really happy with their experience.  For those that have had a waterbirth, what is it that you loved about it?  I have yet to hear anyone say what it is that they loved about giving birth in the water.  Also, are there any websites or books on waterbirth that you recommend I read? 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Waterbirth experiences

• Options
    The hot water helped with the pain (it was still there but much more tolerable) and made it easier to get into different positions to deliver.  If I ever have a third, I will definitely plan for another water birth.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I had a water birth with DS, and plan to this time around as well. I loved my experience. I had a 30 hour labor and got into the tub at about hour 22, and stayed there until I delivered DS (so yes, 8 hours or so).  

Reasons I loved it: 1. The warmth of the water relieved a lot of the pain I was feeling, and it felt glorious! 

2. The relative weightlessness I felt in the large birth tub felt so good after feeling so heaving at the end of my pregnancy.

3. I was able to move around into various positions as I needed.

4. DH was able to support me well from outside the tub. I could hang on the edge and have him in front of me, I could turn sideways and have him beside me, i could lean back against the side and have DH behind me. I could also lean forward to the opposite side and have DH lean in and apply pressure to my back, hips, etc. When I pushed I squatted at the side of the tub and had DH in front of me holding my hands. 

5. After I delivered DS and the placenta and was ready to get out, my MW took the shower attachment and gave me a good refreshing spray down before moving to the bed, which made me feel relatively clean and fresh after a 30 hour labor.  

A few FAQS: 1. No, no one got into the tub with me. DH wasnt interested and that was fine with me, as it gave me more room to move. 2. No, the water didn't get cold. Anytime I wanted it warmer, we just drained some and refilled it with hot. 3. No, the water wasn't super nasty at all. It got pretty cloudy once DS was out, but before that it wasn't too bad. I don't know of any pooping during labor or delivery, but if I did, neither DH or I saw it. The nurses and MW were swift and discreet. 

I would recommend at least trying it if it's an option for you. I'm really looking forward to doing it again!  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It was an amazing experience and I will do it the same this go around. I was in far much more pain out of the water then in the water. It's hard to explain but it relaxed me so much that I was in my own little world and sooo calm which is not normally how I would be... And its as if you get to float and you dont feel so much pressure. if you don't like it you can always get out of the tub to have your baby. But at least you would have it there.
  • Options

I didn't get to deliver in the tub, which I was a little sad about, but I just wasn't progressing while I was in there.

It was so relaxing, though, and I highly recommend having it at least as an option.

I was in labor for three and a half days and I was very, very sleep deprived by the the fourth night. Being able to get in the tub, relax, and slow my contractions down a bit so I could rest was the only thing that kept me from losing my mind. I loved it and didn't want to get out!

Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • Options
    imageSawyerplus1:

2. The relative weightlessness I felt in the large birth tub felt so good after feeling so heaving at the end of my pregnancy.

Sorry, that should say "heavy", not "heaving"... 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't actually end up delivering my baby in the water, but with my first I labored and pushed for over two hours in the water.  My son was posterior and the back labor was excruciating, but the water helped immensely.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.  I really don't think I've heard anyone say that they didn't like their waterbirth.  Each of the labor rooms have a jacuzzi, but I have to let them know ahead of time if I want a waterbirth, because they set up an inflatable tub to actually give birth in.  The jacuzzi is for anyone to use to labor in, but they don't allow births in the jacuzzis.  There is also a mandatory class I have to take.  I think I'm going to go for it, and hopefully it will work as well for me as it did for all of you!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I felt like the water took a slight edge off of the pain.  I had back labor throughout the whole thing and the water wasn't "glorious" for me....but I did like how I felt  lighter in the water and I could move around a bit better.  My son's heartbeat was monitored by a hand-held monitor every few minutes toward the end of my pushing and his heartbeat went way down at one point.  The midwife told me I needed to push him out right away or climb out of the tub and get on the bed.  There was no way I was going to climb out that far into pushing so the midwife ended up reaching her hands in and pulling my son out...which caused me to tear of course.  I ended up with an infection although I don't know when I first got it.  I found out about it at 4 or 5 weeks pp.  One of the doctors on staff told me that infections can be common in waterbirths so that may be something to look into.  I'm not sure if I'll do a waterbirth next time.  But I may. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"