Special Needs

Conscious Sedation for MRI on 2 yr old

My 2 year old is scheduled Monday to have an MRI on his brain with conscious sedation using an IV. Just wondering what to expect with this type of sedation?

Re: Conscious Sedation for MRI on 2 yr old

• My guess would mean that they're going to sedate him, but he will be breathing on his own.

That is how all of DS's MRI's have been.  They use propofol which basically just puts them to sleep and they leave monitors on and watch them closely.  They use just enough to put the child to sleep, but can still breathe and move on their own.  The drug is great because it has a very short half life, about 20 minutes after stopping the IV the drug is completely worn off.

If your child moves too much even though they're asleep they may use Versed.  It's an anti anxiety medication that calms the muscles. DS moved too much during his MRI, all of a sudden he was sucking his hand in his sleep so they administered Versed. Again, it's a fast acting drug and wears off quickly.

Within 20-30 minutes he was wide awake.  He napped the 30 minutes home and woke up back to himself. 

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • DS has only had fully sedated MRIs....I hate it. If we have to do it again, Im hoping we can do a conscious sedation. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"