Northern California Babies

Naptime shifting???

Over the past two weeks, Scarlett's nap times have shifted all over the place. She was pretty consistent for months - an hour or so nap around 10:30am, and then another hour or so nap around 2:30pm. Then her afternoon naps got later in the day, to the point where she was sleeping from 4:30-7pm, then going to bed at 9:30 with no morning nap. Today she FINALLY fell asleep around noon and woke up around 2:30pm. Is this schedule something that naturally happens or am I missing something? We put her down each day at around the same time with a bottle and blankie, but for some reason, she's up and talking, playing, etc. even though we keep putting her back down with her bottle.

She sleeps through the night (around (9:30pm to about 7am), but this nap schedule being all over the place is throwing me for a loop. Anyone had this experience? Any advice?

Re: Naptime shifting???

• Sounds normal to me.  Around a year is fairly typical to consolidate naps.  I'm a tad confused as to if she was taking 2 or 3 naps but either way a shift is normal.  If it's the shift to 2 naps that one can be accomplished fairly easily but I'll be honest the transition to 1 nap is a painful, painful process that usually needs you to force the schedule.  It becomes a long time for them to be awake yet they really aren't tired enough for the two naps.
  • Exactly what jsugrin said.

Around a year is when EJ shifted to 2 naps and within a few months was at 1 nap.  The naps usually increase in length and decrease in frequency. 

Happy Takes Work A family blog.
    Money Matters The other half's blog.
    EJ is growing up too fast!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes...sounds about right.  I thought J was going to shift to 1 nap a lot earlier, but turns out he kept 2 naps for a bit longer.  

We are just transitioning now and it sucks.  What's been working better for us is putting him to bed about an hour earlier (6:30 instead of 7-7:30).  He's taking 1 nap but some days it's really hard to make it to 11:30 or 12 for nap time.  Also, the nap isn't quite long enough yet to last him through the entire evening.  He's still sleeping through the night, but going to bed earlier makes him much easier to handle while we transition.  Once his nap stretches to longer than 45 minutes, we'll work on moving the bedtime back again.

Have you read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child?  Highly recommend it as it tells you about each stage in their sleep development. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"