Special Needs

We have a diagnosis

I posted the other day asking if dx before age 3 for ASD was the norm and I guess I got my answer.  They gave DS a dx of PDD-NOS and we are being referred to an OT to be evaluated for possible SPD.

I thought it would make me feel better to have a name for what we've been dealing with, but it doesn't.  I just feel scared and overwhelmed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: We have a diagnosis

• My son also received a dx of PDD-NOS today. He had a severe language delay, SPD, a recent ADHD dx and now this.... No answers, but you are not alone.
  • **hugs** 

The first few months of our dx were the hardest, for me. My DD1 was diagnosed with autism almost a year ago.

Give yourself time to process things. Do some reading and research, but be prepared to wade through and weed out a lot of iffy information. Sometimes you'll read lists of behaviors/symptoms and think, "That's not my child at all," other times you'll think, "that is totally DC."

I found Making Sense of Autism Spectrum Disorders by Dr. James Coplan to be very helpful in making decisions about what types of therapies best fit my DD1's needs.

It also helped me to remember that getting the dx didn't change anything about my DD1 and who she was -- it was information about why she had certain behaviors, and info that would help us get her the help she needed and be the kind of parents she needed. Our goal is still the same for her as it was when we thought she was neuro-typical -- to help her be the best self she can be. A dx helps us better know how we can do that.

Best of luck to you, remember this board is here as you go through this! 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"