Preemies

Suddenly not eating well?

I always considered us lucky because DD has been a champion eater from the start.  Never any bottling issues and never any reflux issues.  Suddenly the past 2 days she's only taking about 3/4 the amount that she should be in a feeding (sometimes even less) and it takes quite awhile to get her to even eat that amount.  I just can't pinpoint what could make this sudden change in her.  We did have to have her transferred to a different hospital.  I don't  know that that is the problem.  She ate just fine her first few days here.  She is on antibiotics and on iron, but they claim that shouldn't be causing this either.  Is it normal for a baby to just suddenly start having an issue like this?  Can she suddenly come out of it as quickly as she went into it?  Her doctor started her on Prevacid because he thinks it could be an acid reflux issue.  She's had a couple doses and it doesn't seem as though it's helped yet.  Anyone encounter an issue like this?  Did anything help or do we just have to ride this out? 

Re: Suddenly not eating well?

• My son did go through a lot of this.  Rather than watching input, watch her weight gain.  If she is gaining at least 1/2 an ounce, then I believe she is fine.  Babies usually (not all the time) know how much food they need to eat.
  • My baby does this occasionally and there's no explanation. So long as she's gaining weight, I wouldn't worry.

• Loading the player...
  • My DS did the same.  It's very common, it's alot of work to bottlefeed and sometimes they just need a little break. 
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Another thought came to mind.  This didn't happen to my son but I have heard that some babies can become anemic and that slows their appetite.  If it continues, you can have the docs check that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"