Natural Birth

Intro and a few questions

Hi ladies! I am 6 weeks pregnant today and I plan on having my baby naturally.

A couple things though.

I don't know what the hospital's policy is on natural birthing is, such as none to very little intervention, or being able to push from which ever position, and things like that. The hospital in my town (where I'll be having the baby) is the only place to have my baby (no midwives or birthing centers, which totally bum me out). 

Another thing is, I just saw on a thread below that someone is going to keep their placenta. Why do people keep them?

Also, what are the best classes or books to read for more information on natural birth?

Thanks ladies! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Intro and a few questions

• I am also in a small-ish town with no midwives or birthing centers.  I had my first baby med-free in a hospital.  I found a doctor who was supportive, and my husband and I wrote our birth plan together.  We had the doctor sign the birth plan, and it became part of our files at the hospital.  When we got to the hospital we reminded the nursing staff about our plan, and asked them to never ask about pain meds.  My husband was my biggest advocate. We did the Bradley Method, so he was aware of all of the changes of labor - especially transition.  Med-free hospital births can definitely be done, you just need to make sure you're an advocate for yourself. 

I like Bradley, though some of the stuff was antiquated. I read Ina May Gaskin's books and Henci Goer's book. I found them very helpful.  It is my plan to have the new baby med-free as well.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had a natural birth at home so I never had to go over hospital policy...

But I can answer why I kept my placenta.  I hired a woman to come and pick it up after my birth and encapsulate it so I could take the capsules.  I have thus far escaped the baby blues and have great energy.  In fact, the women who have done it through my midwife organization have reported so many positive benefits that they are going to start bringing in the encapsulation woman to give a talk to all of their patients 

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I think, from an intervention standpoint, your OB is much more important than the hospital. If you have an OB who will sign off on your desired birth plan (such as no IV, intermittent monitoring, mother directed pushing, pushing in positions other than on your back, eating and drinking during labor), then the nurses will follow that (at least mine did).

So, I'd do a lot of homework in terms of picking the right OB. 

Books I'd recommend: Ina May, Business of Being Born, the Hypnobirthing book (along with the class)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"