June 2011 Moms

NBR: How much fajita meat for 15-20 people?

We're hosting a family reunion at our house on Saturday. I opted to do fajitas because we buy the meat premarinated so it's easy to just toss it on the grill and cook a bunch at once.

I'm doing both steak and chicken. We'll have at least 13 adults, possibly 16-17 if a few decide to bring their girlfriends. 3 kids at eating age (and 2 under 2 year olds).

How much of each meat should I do? (We'll have rice, beans, chips/guac/queso/salsa, and of course all the other fajita fixin's like cheese, sour cream, onions, peppers, etc)

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: NBR: How much fajita meat for 15-20 people?

• I'd say half a pound a person. People tend to eat a little bigger at family events and if you family is like mine, you'll probably have some big eaters. While I generally think 1/4-1/3 pound would be appropriate for a regular dinner, I think upping it to 1/2 pound would be a good idea. I also tend to over-cook and love having leftovers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with pp.  People like to over eat at fun functions.  I make 2 pounds of chicken just for DH and I when I do fajitas. Plus, just think...you can freeze the leftover meat to pull out in a pinch for fajita salads, enchiladas, fajita redos, white chicken chili...the list goes on. Yum!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with 1/2-3/4 lbs. per person.  I also love leftovers and I find running out of food to be embarrassing.  Now I'm hungry for some fajitas!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"