TTC after 35

Advice please!!!

So, I guess that finally after a year of trying I'm ready to ask for advice for some of the wise people in this community, I got married a little more than a year ago and moved here, until now, I just got my health insurance, so just started to visiting the doctor a little more than a month ago, we have been trying since I arrived to get pregnant, I'm 36 and he is 42 so u should understand our concern.

No visits to the ob gyn yet, Im trying to choose one, but my husband went to the doctor and I asked him to ask for a sperm count test, and I know that I'm not an expert but just looking at the normals I'm shocked. His doctor recommended a  fertility clinic to read the test and also for consultation, I was reading the policy of my insurance company and of course infertility stuff is not covered, I know that testing each of us and all kind of things will be very expensive, but I was reading that they ask for simple exams that u can get with ur ob gyn (which is covered) and him with an urologist. I just want to know if there is another way to do it through our "regular" doctors, or if its really necessary to go directly to a fertility clinic.

Re: Advice please!!!

• You can call an OB's office and see if they can run some tests, but unless you find an OB that is also an RE (reproductive endocrinologist), they probably won't be all that familiar with the tests. See if you can find one with the initials RE after the OB/GYN though, some practices/groups do have them.
  • My OB ran all of my tests and my DH's tests.  Thus, our insurance covered all of the initial exams. Once we got the dx, she recommmended us to a RE.  HTH.
  • Loading the player...
  • When we were TTC our son in Florida, I never went to an RE. After 8 months TTC with no luck, my ObGyn sent me to the lab to get bloodwork done. Then I got an HSG and DH got a sperm analysis. Everything came back pretty much normal so I didn't get referred to an RE at that point. But ObGyn's are not focused on IF, so if things get serious or tests show problems, then you definitely have to go. At the time I don't remember paying too much at all and my insurance didn't cover IF either.
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"