Baby Showers
Options

What are the rules here?

Hey, ladies! I could use some etiquette guidance on my situation, please!

I had a friend ask me a few days ago if I would like to have a friends shower. I think that would be fun, but I already have a church shower, work shower, and small family shower (this is the tradition in my family). Would it be inappropriate to suggest to her a baby sprinkle, sip and see, or whatever you want to call it, after the baby is born? And if I do that, would I need to host it? I wouldn't mind hosting it, as we will have just moved and it might be a good chance for my girlfriends to see the baby and our new place, especially since we're moving about 45 minutes away.

However, I would not expect them to bring gifts if I was hosting it, but they probably would anyway, which makes me kind of uncomfortable. Should I just let my girlfriend host something after the baby is born? Or agree to a regular shower? 

Thanks in advance for your advice! I'm usually pretty good at this stuff, but I just don't know how to navigate this one! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What are the rules here?

• Options
    If it were me, I'd probably just have a regular shower.  That being said... a meet-the-baby party is fine as long as you're ok with passing the baby around.
    Baby Boy born sleeping at 20 weeks.
  • Options
    I would also just accept the friend shower. Celebrate it with your friends and have fun. I would prefer that over a meet the baby party. But if there is some reason you do not want another shower decline the invitation and you can host a meet the baby party after if you choose.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I just wanted to throw my two cents in here -

I was in absolutely NO shape for any travelling or party until DD was around 2 months old. It was a struggle just to make sure I was showered and dressed for the day for those first few weeks, let alone hosting or attending a party.

I'd take her up on a shower - maybe explain the situation, and just say you have so many showers already, can you just do something low key, etc. etc.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would just let her give you a shower.  Then you wouldn't have to worry about it later.  Your feelings may change later to having a sip and see.
    Anniversary Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options
    Definitely accept the shower. This is a "friends" shower. They want to celebrate with you and the atmosphere will be completely different from work, family or church showers. Maybe suggest a girls lunch. 
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options
    Personally I'd probably just have her host the friend's shower if this is your first child.  If you would like to incorporate a "meet the baby party" along with a get together to show off your new place then maybe she could host that.  I can't imagine not being in any kind of shape to host a "meet the baby party" until my baby was 2 months old.  Unless there were some major complications with delivery I just can't imagine that.  I've had both vag delivery and c-section and I had no problem hosting a BBQ/Meet the baby party when our DS was 3-4 weeks old (and I had 2 other kids).  BTW...NO ONE asked to hold him (my mom wouldn't have let them anyway).  lol
  • Options

I agree, accept the offer!  That's so sweet of your girlfriends!!!  I think they want to do something special for you to celebrate that you are having a baby!  I'm sure they have been talking and saying they want to throw you a little shower.  That's why they asked you...  so I would just graciously accept the offer and let them make the plans for you.  They want to give you gifts for your little one without troubling you.

I think it's so nice of you to offer your house, but the only problem I see with that is that if it is a new house...they might feel like it takes away from the baby shower thing and it will feel more like a house warming type of party.  Ya know what I mean?  Then they might feel like they need to bring two gifts...one for the baby and one for your new home?  You can always invite them over to your house as a "thank you" to them...order pizza and have a girls night so they can see your new house!  Or maybe after the baby arrives...I'm sure they will come to visit the baby and see the house at that time!!!

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"