October 2012 Moms
Options

Doula, Midwife, Dr. ?!?!?

Ever since we started TTC, I have been thinking I wanted to try for a water birth if everything goes smoothly and I have a healthy pregnancy. 

Does anyone know if I'm supposed to call a Doula/MW right away, or start with the doctor and go from there.

The hospital that I go to HAS water birth as an option there. 

Also, does anyone know if midwifery vs Dr is usually covered by insurance ???

?Married 11-1-08 ~ dxPCOS 9-1-11 ~ BFP 2-14-12 ~ T.J. born 11-1-12? Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Tanner James The  BoysWedding Shot

Re: Doula, Midwife, Dr. ?!?!?

• Options

Generally you would see a midwife (make sure it's a certified nurse midwife) instead of an OB throughout your pregnancy. You'll need to find a hospital that allows CNMs to deliver there, not all do. You can also look into a birth center, which are generally staffed primarily with midwives. Or of course, home is an option if you are comfortable with that. As long as you're not considered high risk, a midwife may be a good option for you. 

As for doulas - they are not medical professionals, they are like helpers for mothers in labor. You would generally have one in addition to your OB or CNM. They will meet with you once or twice before you go into labor to help you plan and prepare and then meet you at your chosen birth location.

A certified nurse midwife will generally be covered by insurance (but call them and verify!), but generally doulas will not because they are not medical professionals. They are relatively inexpensive though, $300-$600 total (depending on where you live and their level of experience), and if you need to, some will set up a payment plan with you.  

I had to do a lot of research on this topic too, hope that helps!  

• Options

A CNM (Certified Nursing Midwife) is instead of a doctor. Some are in practices with doctors but others like my midwife are not. Most insurances cover them the same. I have an Aetna HMO and everything was covered. There are two midwives where I go and I guess one has extra licensingor insurance because her name is always on all of the scripts. Doula I think you could wait on a little bit.

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I guess I was planning on going to my doctor and then later in the pregnancy ask her about water birth and see what their protocol is there, because there is a birthing center IN the hospital which offers water births, So I'm hoping that will work?!
    ?Married 11-1-08 ~ dxPCOS 9-1-11 ~ BFP 2-14-12 ~ T.J. born 11-1-12? Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Tanner James The  BoysWedding Shot
  • Options

At my hospital they have both midwives and doctors on staff and are both equally covered by insurance. As far as doulas, they would have to be paid out of your pocket as a birthing assistant, and they are not necessarily medically trained.. at least not enough for them to be hired by the hospital.

FWIW I had midwives who I LOVED and didn't need a doula.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If it is something you are interested in then I wouldn't wait until later in your pregnancy to bring it up with your doctor. I would do it now, and then you will know if that is an option for delivering with that person. Although I would assume that water birth would be done with midwifes rather than ob's.  You could call the hospital you are interested in delivering at and ask them for practices that routinely use the water birth suite, then you'll have a starting list of practitioners to call. 
  • Options
    I wanted to add that we hired a doula with our last pregnancy and it was amazing. I ended up with a c-section because she was breech from 30 weeks on and nobody in my area (even up to an hour away) would do an external version. She was still there for me during the c-section (told me exactly what to expect) and even checked up on me during recovery.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree with what the PPs have said, but wanted to add one thing.  Another reason  to not wait to look into a CNM, if that is what you want, is billing.  My OB bills you one flat rate for all her services.  This includes office visits, flu shot, labs, glucose test, plus her delivering the baby.  (It's obviously a higher flat fee if you deliver c-section vs vaginal.)  If you end up switching mid-pregnancy to a CNM because your Dr. doesn't do water births you might have an insurance/billing nightmare to straighten out. 

I'd just go in to your first appointment armed with a list of questions for your OB.  If he/she doesn't answer the way you like, then start looking for a CNM that does water births at the hospital you want to deliver at. 

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Options
    imageCLLDLL:

I agree with what the PPs have said, but wanted to add one thing.  Another reason  to not wait to look into a CNM, if that is what you want, is billing.  My OB bills you one flat rate for all her services.  This includes office visits, flu shot, labs, glucose test, plus her delivering the baby.  (It's obviously a higher flat fee if you deliver c-section vs vaginal.)  If you end up switching mid-pregnancy to a CNM because your Dr. doesn't do water births you might have an insurance/billing nightmare to straighten out. 

I'd just go in to your first appointment armed with a list of questions for your OB.  If he/she doesn't answer the way you like, then start looking for a CNM that does water births at the hospital you want to deliver at. 

Good luck!

Good point. Thank you!!! 

Thank you everyone!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"