Military Families
Options

Career options??

I am an ARMY wife  and mother of 2 (18 and 2) and my husband recently is in SW Georgia, the closet city is 40 miles away (Tallahassee, FL) and I am concerned that I won't find a job. I have degrees in Education (certified in Administration, Counseling, Pupil Personnel Worker) and when we move I will be in my 2nd trimester.

I hear alot about working from home or online educational teaching positions BUT I am very skeptical. Where do I start? How do I know if it's a real opportunity?

Re: Career options??

• Options

Not sure which post you will be at, but most of the Army posts along the east and in the south have DOD schools. The pay is much better and you will get spousal preference.  Google DoDEA.

Good luck! :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Check out the Working Moms board.  I know they have a sticky post with resources listed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am a school counselor too.

You need to take a good hard look at where you are going before you panic.  First, do your licenses transfer to Georgia?  Then when you get that sorted out you can look at schools and see what the market is.  The easiest job I ever got was as a school counselor in a rural area in Maryland.  Before we PCSed I thought there was no way I would find something - and lo and behold,  I secured a wonderful job very quickly.

As for online positions, I would look at any local community colleges in the area.  You can usually teach at CCs with a Masters degree. I have some friends that teach online for International schools too.  But I'm not as familiar.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options
    I teach online for NC public schools. Virtual schools are growing fast and i think it's worth it to look into it in your area. We left Tallahassee last year and I do believe  FL requires you to live in FL to teach in their virtual school system. This is not necessarily true for other states, so even if that's a road block, keep looking elsewhere. Also, as the pp mentioned, check to see if your certification transfers. Some states have 100% reciprocity and all you have to do is prove you have a license and pay a relatively small fee to get one in another state, or at least that's about what I did to get certified in NC coming out of FL. Also, community colleges are a great place to look. Even if you are not necessarily qualifed to teach adult ed, many have programs such as ABE or GED that allow you to at least get your foot in the door on their campuses. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"