Breastfeeding
Options

Inefficient nurser

Since day 1 DS has been a SLOW nurser. He takes a minimum of 40 minutes 99% of the time. The only time he nurses quickly is at night (which I'm super grateful for!) when he scales it back to 10-15 minutes.

The LC I've talked to said that over time he'll become more efficient all the time, but so far that hasnt happened.

I think part of the problem is that he tends to fall asleep at the breast. I already try all the tricks to keep him awake, but with no luck. It makes the days hard because he's nursing every 2 to 3 hours, and with his long sessions, there's almost no downtime. 

Do any of you have any tips on how I can help him become more efficient? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Inefficient nurser

• Options
    We had the same issue and I think it took until about 3 months for him to start becoming more efficient, and by 5 months he wasn't nursing longer than 15 minutes total. So hang in there. When I was desperate I used to keep a wet (and chilly) wash cloth handy and rub it on his legs/feet when he started slowing down while nursing to perk him back up. You can also try switching sides often (it's a pain but definitely keeps them awake!). Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him." x 2

• Options
    Wow ... I could have written your posting!  My little guy is EXACTLY the same way and it's been very frustrating up to this point.  When I try, I can only get him to wake up for maybe 20-30 secs to do a few more sucks and then he's out again.  I've tried tickling his cheeks, his feet, and his chin, blowing in his face, and stopping to burp him.  I may even throw in diaper change just to stir things up!  But no, none of these tricks actually work very well.  Like you, I'm waiting for him to become more efficient.  Fingers crossed that it happens soon ...
    Feb'12 March Siggy Challenge - Lucky Charm
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 - 05.20.11, EDD - 01.31.12, Logan is here! 02.05.12
    BFP #2 - 03.16.11, M/C 03.24.11
    BFP #1 - 10.17.10, Blighted Ovum dx, M/C 01.09.11
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Some babies are just slow. Mine is still a 40 minute nurser - and she nurses pretty much every 2 - 2 1/2 hours during the day (sleeps 11 hours at night though). I have just learned to deal with it, and try to enjoy it as much as possible. I have the luxury of staying at home so it's not too bad, and if I need to be away from the house for more than an hour I bring a bottle of pumped bm to buy myself some time ;)
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"