Military Families

Tampa, DC or Seattle?

These are our 3 choices and we can't decide sooooo - Which is your favorite and why?  We have a 7 month old, will be buying a house wherever we go, DH will be a recruiter and we both will be attending college.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tampa, DC or Seattle?

• I love being in the DC area, but if you want to buy a house and you're both going to go school, it may not be financially the best option. It is ridiculously expensive here!
  • Ditto the PP with Seattle. The Pacific Northwest is ridiculously expensive, so if you're looking for something easier to afford I'm thinking Tampa might be the place for you. Then again, no idea what your take home is nor what Tampa's costs are like (though living in FL I can guess it's similar).

If you like sun, you probably will not enjoy Seattle. It doesn't actually rain 365 days a year, but it is a very overcast area. I grew up there and it does, indeed, rain a lot. Depression is a common issue due to the lack of sun, and more than a handful of military people hate the area because of the weather. Otherwise, its a beautiful area.

Seahawks and Mariners are located in Seattle. Pike Place Market is known nationwide. The mountains are a few hours away. You're right on the water, but don't imagine sandy beaches 'cause that isn't the case, and swimming is pretty much out of the question unless you love the cold. Its a big city, which can be both a blessing or a curse. And an international airport located between Seattle and Tacoma.

Edit: MEPS is located in Seattle, so no long drives to get recruits there! Plus (and this was the case when I joined eight years ago so it may be different now) quotas are easy to be met in the area, so there isn't much stress in getting enough people to join.

• Loading the player...
  • We came from 3 years in Alaska and miss it terribly lol so weather wouldn't be an issue.  I actually love the rocky, muddy beaches (if that's what they are).

Thanks both of you for the feedback!

• My husband is from the DC area (Silver Springs MD) and he does NOT want to go back even though for his MOS we might be headed there. He hates the traffic and the attitude of the people, since I'm from Texas I'm sure I'd hate it also. I think I'd rather go anywhere but Meade. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I love Tampa, but I am a FL girl.  Lots of sunshine, fishing and beaches! Thats enough to sell me on anything. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you liked Alaska, I think you'd like Seattle too. We're just south in Tacoma. I'm not a big fan of the weather, but I grew up in the south so that's to be expected lol. There's plenty to do in the city and if you like outdoor recreation, you have skiing, hiking, and the beaches all within a couple hours drive. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Seattle! 
  • There's a lot of bases in and around DC. Any idea of which one you could be heading to?
  • I hate being in DC housing ain't cheap..... Traffic is a beast I commute everyday up 95 to Dc it's hell... I say Tampa nice weather !!! 
  • I am biased but Seattle! I grew up in the area but am currently living in Hawaii and if I could I would go back home in a heartbeat. The area is beautiful but yes it does rain a lot. You don't have to live in Seattle and there are a ton of nice areas around that are not to far from the city if that is where your hubby will be working. If you look I would recommend Bellevue or some parts of Renton. Renton is less expensive but there are nice areas and some not so nice areas so be careful of that. I am jealous. Want to go back home so bad! And I am living in Hawaii, lol. :)

• I was born and raised in Fairfax, VA and now live in Stafford, VA by Quantico MCB...I work at Ft. Belvoir..I am Dying to get out of the DC area...The traffic is horrible around here, housing prices are rediculous..although there is so much to do here and things to see and only a an a few hours drive to many beaches, I wouldn't move here..esp. if you and DH are going to school. It's an expensive place to live.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Tampa, cost of living is low, the economy isn't terrible comparatively, school is cheap in florida

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• We are stationed in Ft. Lewis right outside of Seattle and it's beautiful here but I hate the rainy weather. We are from FL and the Tampa area is very nice. If it were my choice I would pick D.C. but only because I like the career opportunities. However when it comes to buying a home I would tell you to def. go for Tampa. If you do pick Tampa make sure you ask your realtor for (New Tampa). this area is very new, clean, great schools, and great shopping. There are so many good priced homes because of foreclosures. Right now you could get 5 year old home 3br 2 ba 2 car garage for 70k. Its crazy right now because 7 years ago that same home would have been 175k or more. Good luck!

Ps. My favorite site is www.realtor.com you can search any state and city, put in your price, and wishlist and it will show you all the homes plus pics inside and you don't have to deal with a realtor until you're ready.

DeterminedBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"