Parenting

Does your 4yo boy wear overalls?

DS1 put on a pair of his brothers today, which surprised me bc he hasn't worn them since he was 2. But he really wanted to wear them and I didn't want to discourage him from picking out his own clothes so off he went with just barely fitting overalls. The look kinda grew on me, but is 4 too old them?

Re: Does your 4yo boy wear overalls?

• No, but mainly because my 4 year old waits until the last possible second to go pee so overalls would potentially be a disaster. My older one might have when he was 4, but I don't remember. I think they look cute, though.
    -Sarah, Ryan 10.26.05 & Caleb 5.2.07 image
  • I stopped putting my kids in them as soon as they were potty trained for the bathroom factor.  I feel like this is why you don't see many older kids wearing them.  They're not great for bathroom independence.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • I love them on my 22 m/o, but I wouldn't put my 4 y/o in them, largely due to the potty issue, but also because I think they're too babyish. That said, if he really wanted to wear overalls, I would let him. Not a battle worth fighting, IMO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic March 2006 * January 2008 * April 2010
  • I have a pair that DD and DS wear in the shop when they want to help dad and I think they are so cute in them. 
  • Too babyish IMO so I bought my last pair in 3T. That said, I don't fight clothes battles unless it is really inappropriate so if my 5 year old asked for them I'd likely buy them.
  • Nope. He has only worn them when he was a baby, and then only a few times. I think it would be a big PITA regarding going to the bathroom. Also I personally am not a huge fan of overalls at any age beyond baby, but I know I am in the minority :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS has some Carhartt overalls that he wears for "working" outside however I wouldn't have him go out in public in overalls.
    Cheryl, Evan 4.25.05, Paige 7.2.07
  • I'm sure there are exceptions, but I do think it looks babyish.  My oldest was the only one who wore overalls as a baby, and for some reason I just didn't care for the look at all when DS2 came along.  The last time we attempted them with DS1 was when he had just turned 2, and I thought he looked ridiculous.
  • I think they are cute on babies but I can't even remember the last time I put them on DS 2. I definitely wouldn't put them on any later then 2. Just my personal preference.
    Liam is 5!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Yea, I definitely wouldn't have picked them out for him. But he put them on, was proud  of his choice and wanted to wear them. I couldn't think of why he "couldn't" so... But he does look cute, and a bit babyish;)   Did I hopehe'd spill his yogurt on them at lunch? I am SURE his teachers knew he picked out his clothes today and I bet he told them too,
  • DS had a pair this past summer I think, but I don't think he has worn any regularly since he was 2.  He's almost 4.
  • I nixed the overalls around 2 or 2 1/2.  
    The road to success is always under construction.

Mom to 2 sweet boys!
  • I didn't put DS in them after about 18m-2yr, started with the potty training factor, but I do think they look a little babyish.  Just my opinion though, it wouldn't bother me if I saw someone else's kid wearing them.  
    ~Melissa~ married to Cris 08.13.04 mom to Tyler 01.12.07 donate to my cause
  • imagekickypants:
    I love them on my 22 m/o, but I wouldn't put my 4 y/o in them, largely due to the potty issue, but also because I think they're too babyish. That said, if he really wanted to wear overalls, I would let him. Not a battle worth fighting, IMO.

This.  DS1 had a pair for last (2010) Halloween and he wanted to wear them on another occasion he was 3.5-4 for sure and I let him.  It wasn't my choice.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My oldest hated them so as soon as he had much choice in the matter that was the end of them, I want to say it a was like 18 months Sad.  DS #2 loved them but since he pretty much wears hand me downs he was out of them around 2T

As far as your actual question, I'd say let him wear what he wants!  I mean really what is the worst that happens, someone thinks in their own little head "that kid is too old for overalls"  with the emphasis on "little head" because anyone judging a 4 year olds attire is Hmm just plain mean.

• My 5 yr old DS has worn them since he was 2.  His late grandfather wore them as an adult and they remind him of his grandpa.  He has a pair of dark denim ones he wanted firetruck appliques on and the pinstripe ones that are like his grandpas.
  • NMS
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No.  Absolutely not.

• No. I think that the cut off age for overalls is 2 y/o max, otherwise I just think that they look too baby-ish.
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"