C-sections
Options

2+ Moms- Recovery and LO#1

I am looking for some tips or advice to help with those first few weeks after my C-section.  I believe I will have some one with me for the first two weeks.  I am trying really hard to arrange that at least... 

During this time, DD (LO#1) will be going to daycare.  My husband works out of town which means his shifts fall that he can either drop off DD or pick her up but not both.  Getting her to DC mean lifting her into the carseat and carrying her inside (its snowy).  My incision re-opened last time so I am trying to avoid that if at all possible. 

So, best-case scenario, do you think lifting a 27 pound toddler will be possible 3 weeks out?  Anyone with a similar experience? Tips?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 2+ Moms- Recovery and LO#1

• Options
    DD1 was 20 months and 21 lbs when DD2 was born. My DH was home for the first week and by the time he went back I was totally able to care for the 2 kids myself. I am a SAHM so my kids dont go to daycare but I did have to lift DD in and out of her crib starting at 10 days pp. Discharge instructions said no lifting for 2 weeks but I had to do it. I did not drive for 2 weeks though. I was pretty worried about having to care for both kids so soon but it ended up being a non-issue. However, there's no reason to break any rules if you don't have to. If you have help for 2 weeks take advantage of it. Have someone else do the driving and the lifting....especially if you had problems healing the first time.
  • Options
    I think that would be doable. I was lifting my then 22lb LO at 3 weeks PP and I had a crazy long recovery the 2nd time around. I would just limit lifting to when it was absolutely necessary. When you lift LO crouch down and use your back/leg strength to lift.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    H was home until 3 days ago and so far so good. It is totally doable. I just lifted my 4 year old today to put her in her carseat in a high SUV. I think if you have someone home with you for the first 2 weeks you should try to take it easy and give you incision as much time to heal as possible before you have no choice but to do all those strenuous things. My OB says not to lift anything heavier than DS's carseat  but that is just not possible for me. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You'll be fine. My older son is 28 lbs and I lifted him starting on day 4 or 5. I had to, I had no option, I just tried to limit it. My OB said just to lift the baby for the first week, and nothing heavier than the carseat the second, but I lifted my son when I needed to and it was fine. My DH stayed home for two weeks and then went to work, and we did totally fine. 

And with driving to your LO to daycare, you'll be fine-- just be careful with the pain pills. You're not supposed to drive when taking pills (I stopped the pain pills around day 4). 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Even though I was told not to by the doctor, once I was home after 2 weeks I had no choice but to lift ds in and out of his carseat.  He's right around 30 pounds and would never get into it if I didn't physically put him there,  I had no issue doing it, no pain or anything from it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've had an incredibly easy recovery but I can easily lift my 30 lb toddler at less than 3 weeks out. 
    * DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • Options
    By 2 weeks PP, I could lift DS in/out of his car seat, crib and booster seat at the table.  I didn't carry him around on my hip, but I could lift him carefully a few times a day. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"