2nd Trimester

Help! Head cold remedies needed ASAP!

Hey Ladies,

I've been kinda MIA with moving and work and well life. So I haven't been around much but I creep and comment when I can. For the past few days I've had a terrible head cold. I tried working today but that just made it worse. I've had a fever and congestion like you couldn't believe, and I can't sleep at all! I've tried the netti pot but that just made my ears hurt really bad, I'm thinking its cause I'm so congested. I've tried cough drops, gum, saline spray, hot showers, and sticking my head over a hot running tap with a towel tent. Nothing seems to be working?! Do you ladies have any secrets that might help? I don't want to go to the doctors cause I'm afraid they will try to prescribe something but I'm getting to the point where I'm about to go nuts!

TIA you beauitful mamma's!

Re: Help! Head cold remedies needed ASAP!

• I have spent the day in bed with a lovely cold as well. The only relief I've had is from Sudafed. My doctor says it's fine to take Sudafed (NOT Sudafed PE) as long as you are past your first trimester. It's no Dayquil, but it's something. I was lucky enough to have the day off from work today, so I spent it in bed. If your cold isn't getting any better after multiple days, you may want to go to the doctor in case it is a sinus infection. There are a few antibiotics that are safe for preggos. Hope you feel better soon :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I went for a massage once and was really congested. The guy did some massage on my face and broke up the congestion... It was amazing!
  • Loading the player...
  • I am just getting over a head cold as well. I have slept with a humidifier right next to my head for the past week. I also increased my fluid intake, especially water and orange juice. I used a saline solution to spray in my nose to help keep it moist. LOTS and LOTS of rest. I was literally in bed all day Friday and Saturday and sat on the couch all day Sunday. Monday I was feeling a bit better, and have been better each day since. My doctor told me that I could take plain Mucinex to help break up any mucus but I never felt like I needed it.

If I were you I would go ahead and call the doctor tomorrow since it is leading in to the weekend and just ask what you can do. They might just tell you over the phone remedies you can try before an antibiotic. Hope you feel better soon!

BabyFruit Ticker

Little Man born 2014
  • I have had a cold for about 1.5 weeks now. It's definitely MUCH better than it was, though. I take sudafed for the nasal congestion, and robitessum for the cough/chest congestion/throat ache. I only took the medicines for 3-4 days, and then just keep up with putting vicks under my nose & on my chest at night. 

Hope you feel better soon!!!!! 

BFP #1 4/23/11, EDD 1/4/12::No heartbeat @ 9 wks::D&C 6/1/11 
    Child #1  June 2012
    Child #2  Feb 2014
    Child #3  Feb 16
    BFP 3/9/17
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • A humidifier at night.  Saved my bacon last week when I came down with a bad head cold.  Kept me off the sudafed.
  • Use some pillows to prop you up at night and sleep with a humidifier.  I find that helps me breathe better when I'm congested. 

I haven't tried this - but I've heard the breathe-right strips help too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Ditto on the cold, I've had one for the last week. Snot factory does not even describe what I've been dealing with! (sorry if tmi!) I've had the runny nose, burning sinuses, cough, sore throat, hurting ears, etc. thing going.

Lemon tea with honey seems to be the only thing that is helping, I had a OB appointment Wed. and he's giving me an antibiotic if I'm not better by tomorrow. The tea gives the throat relief and the honey helps dissolve the mucus and break it up.

Hope you feel better!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"