Preemies

How to tell people you're in hibernation mode ?

We just got back from DS's bi-weekly GI appointment and he gained 3 ounces in 2 weeks so I'm happy, but the GI is not because he should be gaining more based on all of the things we're doing.  We talked about winter, the flu shot and a bunch of other things and she told us its in our best interest to hiberate for the winter because any illness (stomach, flu, cold, ect) that causes a loss of appetite would be detrimental to him.  As she put it, if she could put him in a bubble to keep him from getting sick she would.  The problem is telling people.  Other than being small and skinny DS still looks healthy and is alert and active so I know that people, read my dad, is going to say we're overreacting.  We go back two weeks from today for another weight check and she said to pray he gains more than 3 ounces....I don't like the tone of that Sad

TIA!

Re: How to tell people you're in hibernation mode ?

• I told people because he was a preemie, RSV season, we couldn't risk him getting sick & back into the hospital & the NICU and/or drs. advised us not to.  DS also had chronic lung disease so I'd throw that out there.  People would back off after all that. Wink
  • We told everyone the drs said he was on quarantine until he was 4 months (in our case). We didn't let anyone come over except grandparents. People didn't like it but they got over it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I just told people that we were not taking the chance of DS being back in the hospital and were staying in for RSV season.  Some people didn't agree with us or felt like we were being too overprotective, but I just ignored them.  You have to do what is best for your baby.
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Thanks ladies.  I've made it my job to keep DS from having to be hospitilized again so I'm not sure why the winter would be any different Big Smile  Unfortunately my father just doesn't seem to get that even though he looks healthy he has GI problems and thinks we're blowing everything out of proportion.
  • I just tell people that if Marit gets sick, it's likely a return ticket to the hospital, so we're taking no chances this winter, and she's staying home. End of story. You can just say something like "Well, his doctors say he should stay home... you went to medical school where?" and make a little joke of it. By the way, I know we all love our families, but they can say some of the stupidest things sometimes, can't they? Sleep
  • Stand your ground on this one.  We visited DH's family yesterday and theybrought their sick kids and lied about it saying they had allergies!!!!!  I have been up all night with a fever and sore throat and am sleeping in the living room while poor DH is down the hall trying to deal with the twins on his own. Let me tell you- we should have walked out when the first kid started coughing and sneezing but I believed SIL about allergies.  Once you get sick, you'll forget everyone else's feelings and just wish you could go back and tell them in any way possible.

Good luck hun.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"