August 2012 Moms
Options

Is it worth it having a tiny baby shower?

A friend of mine wants to throw me a baby shower, but I don't have a ton of friends or family and when I was thinking about who I would invite last night I realized I would only have about 15 people to invite (pathetic, I know). Out of those 15 I'm guessing only 10 would come (if that). I'm not working right now so I don't have coworkers to invite and I don't want to invite old high school/work friends that I havent seen in a couple years. To me that seems like you're just asking scrounging for gifts when you invite people you haven't talked to for that long and I doubt they would want to come anyways. I would be a little uncomfortable going if the shoe was on the other foot. It seems like most people invite 40+ people to their baby showers (a friend who just had her baby invited 80 to hers and I think they had about 30 people there). When my sister-in-law had her bridal shower she only had about 10 people there and none of her friends even showed up (she doesn't have a lot of friends either). It was all just her mom and mother-in-law's friends that came (and me out of obligation) and honestly the shower was pretty sad and pitiful. I just kept feeling sorry for her for having so few friends and that not one of them came (not even her bridesmaids). I think having a baby shower with so few people would be that way too and I don't want everyone sitting there thinking how pathetic it is that I have so few people to invite. I'm thinking about asking my friend not to throw one for me anymore. Has anyone had a really small baby shower before? Was it fun or was it weird having so few people there?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Is it worth it having a tiny baby shower?

• Options
    That's sweet that your friend offered!  It's not the quantity of people that matters, it's the quality. :) Those who want to be there for you, will.  Those are the ones that matter!
    Photobucket image BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I think it's great that she offered! What a good friend =) Maybe instead of doing a regular baby shower like most people do, maybe you could get the ladies together and do a lunch, just something small and nothing that would be uncomfortable. Just friends getting together to share in the this special time with you!
    IMG_4833 IMG_0119 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think 10 people is a good number. Showers here range from that number to 20, depending on the group. We just had a 'sprinkle' for a girl in our small group at church and just the girls from the class came, so there was only 7 of us. It was really fun!

Don't be down on yourself for not having a ton of friends. You're having a baby! It's time to celebrate with those closest to you!

• Options
    It's totally fine to have a shower...and you should have one :) I too don't have many friends but my mother wants to throw me one. My family spread all over the US so not many will attend. I joke about it but the reality is I have a handful of good girlfriends and that's okay with me. Enjoy it!!!
  • Options
    I think its sweet that she offered and I would still go for it. 10 isn't a bad amount even if it is more intimate...atleast you'll have plenty of time to chat with everyone.  The people that matter will be there.
    Married since 06/2004, TTC since 01/2011

BFP #1 and M/C 5/2011

BFP #2 7/1/2011, Blighted ovums officially diagnosed at 9w6d, D&C 8/19/2011.

BFP #3 12/7/2011, EDD 8/15/2012, Harper Lorelai born 8/09/12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    People love showers!! Anybody that goes will have a great time, you can make it really cute. Definitely do it just to have a good time with the people that care about you, nobody's counting. I think at my friend's baby shower there were 8 people total, 4 friends and 4 family members and we made it so much fun with the Baby Bingo and lots of yummy food.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I think 10 is a perfect number! I would way rather be surrounded by 10 people who really and truly love me and are excited about my pregnancy than 40-80 who are rolling their eyes at the cattle-call nature of my gift-opening and gossiping about how tacky everything is, you know?

• Options
    I'm having a small shower, only about 12-15 people, and I'm still super excited to have one! I have lived far away from my hometown for 10 years now, and so I don't really have any friends left there, and the friends I do have are now scattered all over the country and most will not come out just for a shower, so mine will be mostly family. My bridal shower was also small with about the same number of people. As I said, I think a small shower is fine, you can interact with everyone, it gives a more intimate setting for everyone to chat. I'm really looking forward to my small shower with mostly family and a few friends. 
    T&Y Est. 7/4/2009

• Options
    I went to a small shower recently for a friend, she lives out of state but her mom planned a small one over the holidays. We just did lunch at a nice hotel and she opened presents at the end.  Most of us had shipped the items to her home so there was nothing huge. But it was a great little get together and we all were able to really talk with her and catch up, it was perfect!

• Options

imageJuicer82:
    That's sweet that your friend offered!  It's not the quantity of people that matters, it's the quality. :) Those who want to be there for you, will.  Those are the ones that matter!

Agreed - just do something small with a few people you enjoy hanging out with.  

• Options
    I prefer small baby showers, personally.  I don't like being at a shower with 40 or 50 people and having to watch someone open gifts for over an hour.  My shower will likely have no more than 20 people, mainly because I've lived in several states in the past 10 years and my friends are really spread out.  I also have a very small family.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"