Multiples

Best Breast Pump for Twins??

Hello all!  I am currently trying to find an electric double breast pump to buy for when our baby girls are born.  I am torn between a few so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Option 1:  Lansinoh - Affinity 

Option 2:  The First Years - miPump Double Electric Breast Pump

Option 3:  Playtex - Petite Double Electric Breast Pump 

I am also wanting to have the option for freezer storing the milk after it is pumped, so which one would also be best for this?  Thanks in advance for any help!

IAmPregnant Ticker Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker BabyName Ticker

Re: Best Breast Pump for Twins??

• i'd go with the lansinoh- which is the same as the Ameda - which is what I had and worked great.

freezing has nothing to do with the pump.

kellymom.com has great info on pumping, storing, etc.

you won't know how much you'll really get to store until you know what your supply will be like. Some women dno't make enough to store much at all (if any) and some have a huge supply- so i wouldn't invest in anything other than a pump until you know what your supply is like.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • I don't have experience with any of the models you mentioned, so I don't know if any of those are considered "hospital grade".  If they are not, I would recommend you consider renting a Medela Symphony.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Loading the player...
  • imageLucyRicardo3:
    I don't have experience with any of the models you mentioned, so I don't know if any of those are considered "hospital grade".  If they are not, I would recommend you consider renting a Medela Symphony.

I second this, especially if your babies end up in the NICU or if there are any problems with breastfeeding. I rent the Symphony for $20/week. I also have an Ameda Purely Yours which I leave at my parents to use when we're hanging out there and I have a huge difference in the amount that I get from the Ameda versus the Medela. Of course, that's not the case for everyone - my lactation consultant said I could probably stop with the pump rental so I tried using the Purely Yours more and since I'm getting about half of what I get with the Symphony I'm going to continue renting it. If your hospital has lactation consultants they should be able to tell you where you can rent the pump from if you want to check out pricing. 

ETA - A quick tip no matter which one you get - take an old bra and cut holes in it to fit your pump parts. That will make a hands free set up for you which makes life so much easier. A nurse suggested it to me a week after the girls were born and it made pumping so much less of a hassle. I almost cried from relief (and hormones!) the first time I used the bra. You can buy specially made bras for this but they're expensive. I found that even using a pre-pregnancy bra was okay because if it's tight on you the flanges will stay in place and have a better seal. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would absolutely rent a hospital grade pump at first--mine was $80 a month, and some insurance will pay for it, especially if you end up with preemies.

I had that for a month, and then I bought an Ameda Purely Yours.  I chose that one since my hospital pump was an Ameda, so I had spare parts already.  I highly recommend it!

• I used the Medela Symphony for two days in the hospital as well. It was amazing. I have the Medela Freestyle and love it. I also have this bra (https://www.2moms2dogs2babies.com/2011/09/fabulous-find-friday-hands-free-pumping.html). It looks ridiculous but it saved me a ton of time!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd also recommend renting a hospital grade pump (I'm using the Medela Symphony too). Renting allows you to try it out and see if bfing/pumping works for you without investing lots of money.

J - 9/6/09 L and A - 1/17/12
  • Rent the hospital grade pump in the beginning- no store bought pumps are meant to establish a supply, they are only meant to maintain a supply. Even then, most women experience a drop in supply by around 20-30% when they are pumping. After your supply is established and you know if you are pumping/EBF-ing or if you end up FF'ing then make an investment from there. 
  • Thank you so much for your help, ladies!  I will look in to renting a hospital grade pump.
    IAmPregnant Ticker Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"