Preemies

Tracheomalacia & Feedings - XP

Does anyone's LO have Tracheomalacia? DD began having symptoms at 17 days and was diagnosed then. They said it was unusual that she didn't have the symptoms earlier, but that her case may be mild and brought on by a cold or other irritant. I both pump and nurse, and since the symptoms began that include labored breathing, the amount I'm pumping is much less (about 60% prior volumes). I'm wondering if she is not getting as much when she nurses. I plan to also ask the pedi about this, but was curious if anyone else had experience with changes in feedings due to the tracheomalacia.

I also realize my supply may be a function of the stressful week impacting my supply, although I think I've handled this all well. She is already low in terms of weight (15%) so I want to ensure I'm proactive if she's not getting enough to eat.

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tracheomalacia & Feedings - XP

• I am sorry, I am not familiar so I have no advice. I just wanted to say that your DD is beautiful!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi there, 

my 2nd DS had tracheomalacia, but his was very severe.  So severe that he caught RSV from DS #1, whom only had a cold, and due to the sickness, caused him to stop breathing completely and choke all of the time. He was born at 35 weeks, and Im not saying all of that to scare anyone, but my son had alot of difficulty breathing, swallowing, feeding, and was admitted for failure to thrive because he wasnt consistent in his eating when i breastfed, so we switched to formula, and they determined no matter the source, he'd have the issue.  He just turned 2 this december,  and the warned me it would take some time for him to grow out of it.  By his 1st birthday, it became rare that an issue even showed up.  We had to be careful in introducing solids, because he'd choke and have a hard time, but he's doing great now!  

I was very frustrated at first, because my supply was difficult to keep up when he'd be so inconsistent.  He had a really hard time, and feedings took a long time due to the choking, or he'd have to stop to catch his breath.   But give her time, and it will get better.  She literally has to grow out of it, which is nothing a mommy wants to hear I know!  Hang in there.  What a gorgeous DD you have!

• Loading the player...
  • Hi mandiatkins:

My son was diagnosed with Tracheomalacia after a couple weeks after being born at 34 weeks from surgery. He has a complete collapse in mid trachea and is severe with dying spells (heart rate drop/oxygen).  He is on a cannula with vapor therm at a flow rate of 4 and eating like a champ now.  He had episodes on a 4 flow rate and they have for the most part stop.  But he has to get down to 1 liter flow or less to go home.  My question for you is did you Trach since it was severe?  Did you wait a long time?  We do see the progress on the 4 flow now and he is eating like a champ? 

thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"