Pregnant after 35

benefits of pg over 35?

Do you feel like maturity has helped (or is helping) you through pregnancy? 

There are so many posts on the 1st Tri board about "OMG! I ate a hot dog before I knew I am pg! Is my baby going to be okay?" and "Is it okay if I drink one cup of coffee a week?"  Do you feel like you are a little less caught up in the craziness because you have a bit more life experience, or do you think that is more a function of personality?

DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.

Re: benefits of pg over 35?

• Absolutely!!  I think I have definitely mellowed with age and am less likely to be worried about more minor things.  At the same time, I am also more aware of the risks that are heightened now. 

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• No question maturity helped.  I am so much more patient and grounded now.  Nowhere was this more apparent than our prenatal class which consisted of 3 married couples (2 in their 20's and us in our late 30's) and 4 single girls ages 15-19.  When one of them chose to eat pop tarts while we were practicing breathing techniques I thanked God for my age and maturity.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think maturity and sowing my wild oats has helped alot.  Also, financial security and not having to worry about money after having a long career and saving alot of $$.  I can not relate when some one is stressing about how they can not afford baby basics and ask sis $100.00 too much to spend on something.

The down side to being older and wiser is just that, you know more and sometimes ignorance is bliss.

I am thrilled though to be where I am in life right now. 

• I think the benefits far outweigh the risks of being a late bloomer. 

I think I'm more patient than I would have been years ago, I've had the benefit of a fabulous education, got my degrees, had great careers, met wonderful people and travelled places I'd only visited in my fantasies ... and then married a terrific guy. 

I don't think I would have been ready to "settle down" in my 20's or even 30's.  I've accomplished a lot, and I regret nothing and I think I have a lot to teach my children ... as well as a lot to learn. 

I don't freak out at the drop of a hat, I take advice with a grain of salt, and I'm not competing with my contemporaries to have kids.  Most of my friends' kids are already in college!

So, yeah.  I'm happy to be pregnant now.  I think my kids will be better people for it. 

• I definitely feel like maturity is making a difference.  I would have approached pregnancy from a whole different standpoint when I was younger.  Not to mention, I wouldn't have been ready for it - not even a little!
    Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I definitely think it's helping.  I don't know that I would have handled the difficulties getting pregnant or the joy in being pregnant as well as I did/am.  I have also had the benefit of watching so many other people have children and have learned what to do and what not to do.  Also, I will have built-in babysitters when I need them.  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think I worry more because I am older actually-- but I wouldn't trade having baby now for having one when I was 25 for anything.  That experience will make me a better mother and has given me life lessons that a 25 year old doesn't have.
  • I wasn't ready to be a mom 10 or even 5 years ago.  I think I am more mature, yes, but on the other hand, it feels like I have so much more to worry about too. 
  • I think the main benefit for us is security. We've each completed a lot of education, and we're financially secure.

The downside, though, is that whole AMA thing. Plus, I suspect that pg is a lot easier on a 20-something body.

• I definitely feel maturity helps.  I'm not nearly as anxious or worried as I would have been 10 or 20 years ago.  The biggest benefit for me is that with a long career, I have lots of savings and a ton of paid leave I can take.  I'm also a lot more practical than I used to be. 

The only thing I'm worried about is that I won't have as much energy to keep up with a toddler as I would have when younger.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"