1st Trimester
Options

Hospitals.. NICU Level 4 vs Amazing Hospital with NICU level 3

I am blessed to have 2 great hospitals in my city.  My insurance will allow me to go to both with only a $500 difference and they are the same distance from our house.  One is the public hospital that most of my friends go to and 90% had bad nurse/ dr. experiences.  This is the hospital that my current OB is connected to and it has the areas only children?s hospital and Level 4 NICU.  Then there is my dream hospital.  Its a private hospital that is known for its excellent Labor and Delivery.  I used to be a teen volunteer on that floor and always said I wanted to deliver there. I had a friend use both and said when comparing the two she felt like she was treated like an animal at the public one.  THE ONLY negative of the private one is that they are only a Level 3 NICU.  So if something terrible happens the baby has to travel 20 minutes to the other hospital.  =(  I have heard stories of babies not making it to the Level 4 NICU in time?  What are yall?s thoughts?  Stay at the public hospital for the 1% chance of what if or go to my dream hospital and trust God that everything will be ok. 

Re: Hospitals.. NICU Level 4 vs Amazing Hospital with NICU level 3

• Options
    Would you have to change OBs?  I didn't deliver at what would have been my first pick of hospitals (newer and a couple minutes closer to my house) because I didn't want to change doctors.  I had a great experience and I'm glad I didn't change. Both were Level 3 NICUs. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    Only one of the hospitals here had a NICU when I had my first, so I obviously picked that one. In your situation, unless there are issues, I'd still go with the nice hospital and the Level 3.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    TTC Baby #2 - BFP on 12/14/11 @ 10DPO - CP confirmed 12/18/11
    BFP #2 on 1/13/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A level 3 NICU is still really, really good.  Unless your baby is born extremely prematurely or is very, very sick, I don't think a transfer would be necessary.  Go with the hospital you want.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't normally post on this board, but to be honest, I would go to the hospital that you would be most comfortable with.

The hospital in my town is only a level 1 NICU, so I'm traveling 45 mins to deliver in a better hospital and it's still only a level 2. The nearest level 3 is about an hour and a half away, maybe a little more. I just have to believe all will work out. 

PCOS, Severe Hypertension, Diabetic. Started TTC in 2007.
    (12-2011) 5MG Femara (CD 3-7) w/ Repronex (CD 8-16) HCG trigger (CD 17) = BFP!!
    Due Sept 7th 2012
    Photobucket
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Personally I'd go with the better place with the Level 3.  Think of it, you aren't very likely to deliver a baby needing a Level 4 NICU but you are DEFINITELY having a baby so pick the place that offers the most well rounded care for all of you considering normal circumstances.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options

HMP yes I would have to change OBs.  My town is very split and my current OB can not deliever at the private one.  Changing does not bother me and we are actually starting to TTC in June... that's why I am trying to decide now so my first apt can be with the correct OB.

• Options
    Dream hospital.  Hands down.  And I say that because I had a wonderful experience with the hospital I delivered at and think it made all the difference.  GL!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would go with your preferred hospital unless you have some reason to believe you might need the top NICU program and, even then, I might still choose your preferred hospital. It seems as if Level IV is not even necessarily a recognized designation but there are various degrees of Level III.
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Since you don't have an attachment to your OB, then I would go with the private hospital.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    Thanks for the comments!  I asked someone this same question and she was shocked almost horrified that I would even consider the Level 3 hospital.  I always wanted to deliever at the private one but though am I just being selfish and thinking more myself than the baby.  Thanks for the help!  Good luck everyone and God bless your LO!
  • Options

Dream hospital. No contest.

I delivered at a tiny hospital 20 minutes out of town that had virtually no NICU because of their stellar national reputation for creating the birth experiences mothers are looking for. The majority of their births are natural, midwife assisted, but emergency procedures/doc are available and life flight to a larger hospital is available in emergencies.  

I plan on delivering there again unless I brave up and have the homebirth/birth center birth I've contemplated.

The quality of care and staff morale is so important. You will have forever memories of your birthing experience and everything you can do to make that experience a good one is worth it I think. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Go with the hospital you'd rather deliver at.  I work as a nurse at a hospital with a level III NICU.  We can care for micropreemies and have a great program.  The only things we don't do are surgeries and ECMO.  Very rare that a baby needs that level of support.
    BFP #1: m/c at 8 weeks; BFP #2: DD born 6/9/09; BFP #3 m/c at 5 weeks; BFP #4 m/c at 8 weeks, D&E; BFP #5 DS born 8/12/12
  • Options
    Just wanted to post about this... between a level 3 and 4 is negligible. If baby did have a BIG issue, he/she would be stabilized and transported. The care providers where I work round at all the nearby hospitals, so they're well versed in all the aspects of NICU trauma. 
  • Options

I'd go with the dream hospital, hands down. When we first started TTC, I picked a doc that delivers at a VERY nice private hospital, that many friends and co-workers have raved about. They have a Level 2 NICU.

After 2.5 years TTC, 3 losses, and 2 rounds of IVF, I wasn't exactly feeling confident when I first got pregnant with this one, and I considered changing doctors to deliver at a hospital that's not as nice, but has a Level 3 NICU. In the end, I decided to stay with my current doc and deliver at the hospital that will give me a better experience. If any complications come up during this pregnancy, I will re-evaluate where to deliver. At a certain point, though, you have to trust that things will be ok, and make decisions based on the most likely outcome, rather than the worst case scenario.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Cautiously expecting our second little petri dish baby - stick, Baby, stick!

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"