North Carolina Babies

average costs?

Just doing a little pre-planning here and wondering if anyone can recommend a good website with average costs related to having a baby.  Things like pre-natal care, delivery, baby supplies, daycare, etc.  Thanks!

Re: average costs?

• Alot of that will really depend on your insurance and where you live.  I don't know about any websites, but I can tell you what we paid.

Pre-natal care and delivery cost me $2500

Eli's NICU was $4000 (not that most people have to deal with that, but it's always something you should keep in the back of your mind as an emergency fund or whatever)

I have no earthly idea about supplies.  We got so much stuff from showers and family, we didn't really have to spend much.  Of course that also depends on what you consider necessary.

Daycare cost $158/week. We live in Clemmons/W-S, and I know it's cheaper here than in Charlotte or Raleigh.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemrsmikey:

Pre-natal care and delivery cost me $2500

Eli's NICU was $4000 (not that most people have to deal with that, but it's always something you should keep in the back of your mind as an emergency fund or whatever)

I

I know this is a dumb question, but that's after insurance, right?

• Loading the player...
  • Ditto about the insurance.  We only have to pay $100 for the hospital visit for delivery and all my pre-natal visits have been $0 (after the first initial "confirmation" appt.). 

We live in Charlotte and will be paying $198 weekly for daycare (and this is only for 3 days).  The cost of daycare will be greatly determined by where you live.  The only other major expense that comes to mind is diapers and I won't know about that cost until he actually arrives.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes.  With my insurance I had to pay for things upfront (at a discounted rate) until I met my deductible, before any copays kicked in.  I did not meet my deductible, but the discounted rates were pretty good.  So I kinda paid out of pocket if you want to think of it that way.  And that was for everything, all my prenatal care, the Dr at delivery, and my hospital stay, which was 2 days.  I should also mention I had a vaginal delivery.

As far as Eli's part, he's on DH's insurance, which is better than mine.  He does have copays, but obviously a NICU bill for 3 weeks is outrageous, so all we had to pay was his $4000 out of pocket max.

• I think somewhere on "The Bump" it has a budgeted too ..... like how much you'll spend on diapers, toys, clothes, etc per year.
  • As far as diapers, when we were using disposables, I spent about $10/week on diapers.  The cost of wipes is negligable.

And we FF, and I spend about $15/week on that.  We use generic formula.  Name brand runs about $25.

• The best thing you could do is call your insurance (or read your benefits booklet) to find out copays/cost for prenatal care and delivery, as well as your baby's well-child visits. I'm not sure about daycare, but the cost  depends on your area.

Other expenses I can think of: diapers, wipes, formula (if not BFing), bottles. There are other things like carseat, clothes, strollers, etc...but a lot of that you may get from showers. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ours is pretty ridiculous.

6K for our out-of-pocket insurance max should we need it.

1K for nursery/big ticket items.

5K + trade-in for a downpayment for a new car for me (which is a must considering mine won't hold a carseat)

$750/mo for part-time daycare (3 days per week)

On top of that, monthly expenses for formula, diapers, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"