Military Families

Paternity leave?

DH said he thinks he gets 3 weeks, but he's not sure. He'll ask closer to time, right now he doesn't want work knowing I'm pregnant (due to loss history).

I don't know if it makes a difference, but he's an O-1 and when LO gets here he'll be at his location for only 9ish months. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Paternity leave?

• What branch?

Army is 10 days, uncharged, but it's at the discretion of the command and is not a guarantee.

CJ 05/29/2013

• It's 10 days, uncharged leave.  They have a year to use it. DH was unable to use his until after LO was 3 months old, due to re-training.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • This came out in 2008:

In the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2009, which President Bush signed into law Oct. 14, is a provision that requires the services to offer 10 days? paternity leave to male servicemembers on the birth of their children.

This was a compromise agreement reached with House negotiators after the Senate had voted to grant 21 days of paternity leave. Department of Defense officials expect to finalize their policy for implementing the new 10-day leave benefit by mid-November.  The extra days of leave, which won?t count against 30 days? annual leave, will be available retroactively for births on or after Oct. 14.

The law leaves it to the discretion of the services when paternity leave is granted to qualifying members.  The timing can be affected by mission needs, unit deployment schedules and command priorities. ? Tom Philpott

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• 10 days nonchargeable.  He has to take in within a year.  When he gets to take it (whether right after LO is born or not) and if that 10 days includes weekends is up to his command.
  • imagechloebeth930:
    10 days nonchargeable.  He has to take in within a year.  When he gets to take it (whether right after LO is born or not) and if that 10 days includes weekends is up to his command.

For AF, the AFI specifically states the days must be consecutive.

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • My husband(AF) was given 10 days in addition to the week I was in the hospital. His 10 days started our first day home, and his commander/first shirt did not include his "weekend". 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"