School-Aged Children

XP Therapy through school district

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience working  with (or fighting with) a school district to get their child therapy.  We has DS evaluated through our hospital peds rehab and they said that yes he was in need and recommended 2-3 times a week for a year. Unfortunately because he is 3, insurance won't cover and says he must go through the school district.

The school OT will be observing him tomorrow, but from talking to his teacher and speech therapist, I have a feeling we are going to have a fight in front of us and that they will not qualify him.  If this happens, what can I do- besides going private (which we don't have the $$ for.)  

Any/all help would be appreciated!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP Therapy through school district

• When I lived in PA I was the schools services coordinator for a pediatric therapy center.   We were contracted by the county to send the OT/PT and Speech therapists into the schools.   In PA, at age 3 it was run through our County Intermediate Unit, and services were offered in a county run pre-school proIgram.  Not sure how it is in your state, but have you tried getting services through the county?  (or is that the same as the school district where you live?) It also depends on where his needs fall, and I don't know your son's history.  If your ped. rehab recommends therapy then the OT who is observing him is probably going to see the same things the pediatric therapist did, and that will most likely lead to starting the evaluation process with the county/school district. 

I would wait and see how it turns out befor assuming he won't qualify for services, but if you have to go the route, contact a Special Education Advocate.  You can also have the original eval. that resulted in the 2-3 times/week for a year notorized and presented to the school district as an independant eval. 

Good Luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You may want to XP this again on the Special Needs board, if you haven't already.  
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • imagechach916:

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience working  with (or fighting with) a school district to get their child therapy.  We has DS evaluated through our hospital peds rehab and they said that yes he was in need and recommended 2-3 times a week for a year. Unfortunately because he is 3, insurance won't cover and says he must go through the school district.

The school OT will be observing him tomorrow, but from talking to his teacher and speech therapist, I have a feeling we are going to have a fight in front of us and that they will not qualify him.  If this happens, what can I do- besides going private (which we don't have the $$ for.)  

Any/all help would be appreciated!

where are you located???

My 5 year old is in speech therapy 3 times a month and extra help from the teacher twice a week. When We moved here(maryland) he was almost 4 but I applied to the school board to see if they would get him into early preschool. They did not as they said we made to much money. A few months later I mentioned it to my doctor and we were sent to a Evaluation, at the evaluation I was again told to contact the school board as they had options to help out.

I contacted the school district and asked for a IEP plan to be put in place, It took a few months and a few evulations but he was accepted into a program. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"