Preemies

Article on Preemie Treatment in NICU

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27444450/

I came across this article this morning and wanted to share it.  My DD was in the NICU at a hospital in Houston and Dr. Morris was one of her doctors.  She didn't see Dr. Morris until later in her NICU stay, but I am surprised that none of Dr. Morris' colleagues that she DID see ever brought up Dr. Morris' study or make any comments about these risks of phototherapy. (DD did have jaundice, was 1 lb 11 oz, and did have phototherapy.)  They just said she was getting it as a matter of course. 

Re: Article on Preemie Treatment in NICU

• Thats interstring - I'm not really sure what to think about it though. I don't think they should be given phototherapy just as a matter of course - I would be pretty mad about that after reading the article.
  • I'm not sure if I believe there is any connection based on their findings. They said it *could* be contributed to that, but they aren't exactly sure. I think this research also has to take into account the baby. Some babies just thrive more than others. Jacob was in the NICU with another 24w5d baby who weighed slightly less than he did (1.4 vs Jacob's 1.7). They had relatively the same course, but the other baby struggled more. He was in the NICU for 6 months and went home on multiple medications (9 of them!), oxygen and apnea monitoring equipment. Jacob came home a week before he was 4 months old and had no meds, monitors or O2.

It sure is an interesting article though. Thanks for posting this. I like to read about further research on matters such as this.

DS was just on the cusp based on the weight guidelines they used (they said up to 1.65 and DS was 1.7) and he had phototherapy hours after being born due to his bilirubin levels and continued to have it until around week 30.

Jacob 3.23.08 * Grace 7.22.09 * Eli 7.26.11 * Annabelle 1.18.14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"