Northern California Babies

Favorite lego sets?

I bought some lego's for the kids for Christmas, thinking I was getting the larger one and of course got the tiny ones.  My mom went out and got them the Duplo train and a construction set and they are in hog heaven!  Cooper's birthday is in a few weeks so I'm thinking of getting more legos.

What do your kids love right now?

If you've got older ones, when could they manage the little pieces better? (they can do it but get all upset when they try to move something and it breaks)

And damn lego's are expensive!  Now I'm made I didn't stock up when TRU had tons of buy 1 get 1 50% sales.

*random factoid*  Did you know that lego sells 50% of their annual sales in the 2 weeks prior to Christmas.  Is that not insane!  We happened to watch some special on the lego factory the other day and I about fell off my chair.

Re: Favorite lego sets?

• I feel like TRU has those buy 1 get 1 50% sales all the time so I'm sure there will be plenty of other opportunities!  Those Lego City sets are best for beginning builders, and then they can move up from there once they are ready.  My 3.5 year old loves the Lego mini figures, and does all kinds of crazy stuff with them like switch their heads around and take off their arms.  My 5 year old loves building and can follow the Lego directions or make his own creations.  His currents favs are Lego superheroes, Star Wars, and Ninjago.

I bought a huge lot of Legos off of CL about a year ago that we call the "party box."  It's a big assortment and it's not any one set so I'm not worried about pieces getting lost.  We use that for parties, playdates, taking out of town, etc. and it's always a big hit.

To switch things up, every now and then I print off directions off of the Lego website.  You can look up whatever the kids are interested in (i.e. reindeer, snowman, etc.) and get directions to sets.

https://us.service.lego.com/en-US/BuildingInstructions/default.aspx

There's also a free Lego Jr. magazine that comes out every other month, and the boys always look forward to it.  It has building ideas in there too.

https://club1.lego.com/en-US/subscription/Default.aspx?SkuId=9052b50e-271e-46d2-9abb-e1950f8cc438&step=1&CountryId=US

They LOVE the Lego stores, although there isn't one close to us.  I think there is one in Sac, and we've been to the one at Valley Fair several times if you ever make it out there.  They have several play stations there where you can free play build.

Legos have completely taken over our house, but I think it's a great "thinking" toy and we love their Lego habit!  I'm kind of obsessed with the minifigures myself, and bought a huge lot of those of off CL last year.  We really love the lil superhero ones!

• We just have a 1600 box of regular Legos.  Sara loves just building stuff out of them.  I didn't know you could go online and get directions to build things.  I'm going to check this out.  One thing she REALLY wants is the Lego Harry Potter dice game.  I want all the Lego Harry Potter sets but I have no where to put them. 
    imageimage
    107 Read/listened to in 2011: 91 Books/16 Audiobooks
    Read 2012: 33/50
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you so much Shelia.  I am beyond excited to get the magazine, I'd never even heard of that before.  My kids are going to be crazy for it.  I so agree about feeling like it's such a good "habit".  I'm happy they are finally getting so interested in them and I'm ready to toss out every single toy except the lego's, too bad the boys aren't ready for thatBig Smile.  I can't wait until they are old enough to the lego club at school!
  • How fun that your school has a Lego club!!  What is that all about?  I wish we had one!  There is a "Bricks Academy" out here that offers after school Lego classes, but I don't feel like they need another weekly (paid) activity right now.  We have done daily Lego camps over Spring Break and a week last summer, and Carter loved those!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"