New Jersey Babies

Somerset Medical Center in Somerset, New Jersey

Has anyone had any experience with Somerset Medical Center located on Rehill Avenue in Somerset?  I will most likely be delivering at this hospital and I don't know much about it.  My doctor used to deliver at St. Barnabas Hospital which I am more familiar with but he's trying to phase out of going there because he moved his office and it's too far.  Most likely, I'll have to give birth at Somerset but I don't know much about it.  Has anyone given birth at this hospital or know someone who has?  I want to make sure I recieve the best care as possible and that the hospital has a good reputation for labor & delivery. I also am wondering if they have private labor & delivery rooms and also private rooms to bond with the baby while I am recovering after I give birth?  Lastly, do they have a good nursing staff and good anesthesiologists?  

Thanks in advance for your help!

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Re: Somerset Medical Center in Somerset, New Jersey

• I don't have all answers to your questions but one of my closest friends delivered both her girls there and she had great experiences.  I visited with both and the nurses were so nice.  I was pregnant with DS when she delivered her second and the nurses let me pick their brains and were so nice.  It has always been very quiet in L and D and both times she was in a private room.  First time she had an epi and that went well...second time she was too late by the time she arrived.  I delivered at St. Peters.

On a side note my mother battled much of her cancer battle and I was always pleased with the professionals that work there.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Somerset is MUCH smaller in terms of births than St Barnabas.  Rooms are private.  The post partum rooms are HUGE!   The food is pretty good there (as far as hospital food goes!).  The hospital achieved magnet status with it's nursing staff which is the highest recognition for a hospital nursing staff.  They have a decent NICU there but it's not as big as St Barnabas.  As long as you are having a normal pregnancy and don't anticipate any major complications it should be fine!
    R & R: est 2003 LOs: 4/2005, 10/2007, 2/2011 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • You probably have the same doctor as my friend- he is in Warren? The same thing happened to her and she was so disappointed. I went to visit her and its awful- its very dated and stuck in the 80's. The furniture is old and its dark.Still has the "80's borders" on the walls.  Its not St. Barnabus at all. I guess you have no choice. Its also in the middle of nowhere. My friend was pissed bc she lives in Maplewood and this place is way out of the way. She was glad to get out of there.
  • Really??  I was there 2 summers ago and thought maternity was very nice.  I didn't pick up on 80s decor or old furniture.  Hmmmm.....  Also, it is definitely NOT in the middle of nowhere.  It's in Somerville which is a pretty active town right by the intersections of Rts 287, 22, 206 and 202. 
    R & R: est 2003 LOs: 4/2005, 10/2007, 2/2011 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Somerset Medical Center is great.  I was born there!  Smile

I know of many moms that delivered there more recently and everything was fine. Friendly staff, clean environment, etc.  Like the PP said it is NOT in the middle of nowhere.  It is easily accessible from many major highways.  If you had to come from Maplewood yes it would be far but it is conveniently located.  Good luck!

• I was there this weekend with a gallbladder attack. I had 2 nurses. One (Julie) was amazing and the other, don't know her name, older woman, was absolutely

horrendous and am considering not delivering there because of the bad experience I had.

• My daughter was born there and I was very happy with the care I received there.  The labor rooms and postpartum rooms are private.   We had excellent nurses, lots of privacy and always felt comfortable.  The food is actually very good for hospital food and they were overall very friendly and helpful.  It is NOT in the middle of nowhere.  :)    Good luck!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"