Upstate NY Babies
Options

Breastfeeding in public....

I hope I'm not starting any drama.  I'm just curious if anyone heard about this story.  I was on my way to work this morning and on the radio they were talking about a woman (from Rochester) who was breastfeeding in line at Target yesterday.  There was a woman in front of her with her two children.  The lady that was nursing actually leaked milk and it got onto the kids in front of her....or it was just the son...I can't remember now if it was both kids.  Anyways, the boy told his Mother it was raining and it took the Mom a second to figure out what happened.  When she saw that it was milk she said something to the nursing Mom.  The nursing Mother apparently went off on her!!   The nursing Mom then got down on the kids level (exposed) and told them that this is how you feed babies.  WTF??  Now let me say that I breastfed both my boys.  While I never really did it in public places I have NO problem with people who do.  However, in the check out line, leaking and then to top it off she feels it's her job to explain the nursing to this other woman's child?  Don't agree with that at all!!
Lilypie Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Breastfeeding in public....

• Options

imagesunnygirl05:
      While I never really did it in public places I have NO problem with people who do.  However, in the check out line, leaking and then to top it off she feels it's her job to explain the nursing to this other woman's child?  Don't agree with that at all!!

This is it exactly!

I'm totally supportive of people BFing wherever they want to, BUT leaking on people that aren't your SO is wrong, ESPECIALLY if children are involved b/c it then becomes a health issue!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Dude, if someone leaked BM milk on my kids I would be horrified and if she was a *** on top of if I would rip her a new one. This goes back to my UO from a while back that lactivists actually do more harm to their cause than good. But no, I haven't heard that story haha.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have no problem with breastfeeding in public...but would have a serious issue if someone got BM on my child.  Unless my child was all up in her business and caused her to leak...but I don't see that happening.
    Bianca image.
  • Options

How on earth do you leak on someone's kid sitting in a cart?  I mean, is your boob dangling over him?

• Options
    imagejnk062602:

How on earth do you leak on someone's kid sitting in a cart?  I mean, is your boob dangling over him?

I don't think the kid was in a cart....I think he was just standing in front of her.

• Options
    Way TMI, but I squirted across the room before...luckily at home.  If the baby pulls off, it can happen.
    Bianca image.
  • Options

Wow.  I would be livid if someone got BM on one of my kids.  I think that as a nursing Mom you should really take the necessary precautions to make sure that does not happen, especially in public.  Who knows exactly what happened, but for the BFing Mom to go off on the other woman is just plain wrong.

DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11
  • Options

imageBianca42:
    Way TMI, but I squirted across the room before...luckily at home.  If the baby pulls off, it can happen.

I have too!!  It happens.  That's why I think choosing to breastfeed in a check-out line was such a stupid decision.  I just don't get it.  I know at the Target I shop at they have seating right by the bathrooms.  That's where I would have done it :o)

• Options
    imagesunnygirl05:

imageBianca42:

I have too!!  It happens.  That's why I think choosing to breastfeed in a check-out line was such a stupid decision.  I just don't get it.  I know at the Target I shop at they have seating right by the bathrooms.  That's where I would have done it :o)

Ohhh nooo....don't even mention possibly moving out of the way a little. She should have sat down right in the middle of aisle 5 and made people go around her! I mean, she was FEEDING HER BABY :D

• Options
    I am all for feeding your baby in public. I tried really hard not to have to do it myself because it made me uncomfortable (could never get the logistics down) but to each his own. But the fact that she was exposed and yelling about it I would have been livid. If anyone came at my kids with their boobs out for all to see I would not let that fly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Ok, I am a lactivist and that is just WRONG! Ew. Ew. Ew.

I would be mortified if I leaked on someone, let alone someone's kid! 

Photobucket
    Charlie 11.01.07 ~ Paul 05.07.10 ~ Annaliese 02.24.12
  • Options
    imagexKimx:

Ok, I am a lactivist and that is just WRONG! Ew. Ew. Ew.

I would be mortified if I leaked on someone, let alone someone's kid! 

No you aren't, Kim! You are a rational, logical breast-feeding super-mom!! Two WAY different types of women. You are what these crack pots SHOULD be like - because you earn the respect of others not scream in their faces that your SHOULD be respected.

• Options

Um wow. Just wow.  When I breastfed, even though it was for a short time, I did squirt on occasion. Now, I only NIP once, and it really wasn't PUBLIC, because it was at the Pedi GI's office.  

I would have been absolutely livid if a mother was bare chested in front of my son, teaching him about breastfeeding. I wouldn't have been pleased at all if, someone leaked their bodily fluid on him, either! Sure, it is a bodily fluid that is super beneficial to the nursing child, but it should not go anywhere near my child!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Okay wait, I am going to play devils advocate here.

If her baby was sitting in the cart, drinking a bottle and tipped it over, dripping milk on the kid in front of him - would it be as big of a deal? You wouldnt even know fi it was BM or formula!

However, if this was me, and the other mom said something to me because my milk leaked onto her kid - id profusely apologize, and then try and make some sort of joke...

the whole bit about the mom going off on her and exposing herself to the kids - well, that part is crazycakes.

• Options

I think the big deal is the fact that she didn't just say OMG I'm so sorry! Like, if she would have ran her cart into the boys by accident she probably would have said sorry..if her baby was holding a stuffed animal and tossed it, hitting the boys...she would have said sorry.. why does BM send her over the edge, ya know?

And yeah, just because you support BFing and your kids see boobs all day every day and you're fine with it...doesn't mean a complete stranger agrees with you. I will never shield MY kids from BFing - but I don't assume that my friend will want me to show my boob to her kids.

I'm feeling really judgemental. Being a hungry HLG makes me grumpy :)

• Options
    imageTelyco:

I think the big deal is the fact that she didn't just say OMG I'm so sorry! Like, if she would have ran her cart into the boys by accident she probably would have said sorry..if her baby was holding a stuffed animal and tossed it, hitting the boys...she would have said sorry.. why does BM send her over the edge, ya know?

And yeah, just because you support BFing and your kids see boobs all day every day and you're fine with it...doesn't mean a complete stranger agrees with you. I will never shield MY kids from BFing - but I don't assume that my friend will want me to show my boob to her kids.

I fully admit that she sounds crazy-pants...but lets just play devil's advocate for a second.  BF Mom accidentally squirts kid.  What if BF Mom apologizes but Kid's Mom freaks out (I would freak too) and goes into an anti-breastfeeding rant.  That just might make the BF loose her cool.

Still not a valid reason to show a stranger's kid how breastfeeding works...but I'm HOPING it didn't go straight from a polite "I think you leaked on my kid" to BF Mom freaking out. 

Bianca image.
  • Options
    imagejnk062602:

This made me LOL...I was thinking the same thing 

• Options
    imagejnk062602:

This made me LOL...I was thinking the same thing 

• Options
    imageBianca42:
    imageTelyco:

I fully admit that she sounds crazy-pants...but lets just play devil's advocate for a second.  BF Mom accidentally squirts kid.  What if BF Mom apologizes but Kid's Mom freaks out (I would freak too) and goes into an anti-breastfeeding rant.  That just might make the BF loose her cool.

Still not a valid reason to show a stranger's kid how breastfeeding works...but I'm HOPING it didn't go straight from a polite "I think you leaked on my kid" to BF Mom freaking out. 

I dunno - that is totally hypothetical.. it doesn't seem like the mom went on a rant and it doesn't seem like the squirter appologized - but rather was confrontational over being called out on the squirting. I think someone has EVERY right to say "EW lady you just squirted milk all over my kid! Gross!!" Because it IS gross. And if the mother gets offended and snaps back, fine. But to then go off the deep end and scold the kids for saying "it's raining" (::gag::) well, that's ridiculous. For the sole reason that it WAS, in fact, "raining".

• Options
    imageTelyco:

I pretty much agree with this. It really has nothing to do with BFing in public and everything to do with the fact that she leaked milk on someones kid and then instead of apologizing, she got all nasty about it AND put her boob in a kids face purposely. Thats RIDICULOUS!!!!!!

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Options

I don't think the Mom of the boy that got leaked on flipped out at all.  I'm sure she was thinking WTF, but from what she said on the radio, it sounded like she was very mature about it.  The bf Mom got all defensive because she was thinking she has every right to bf in public.  She does, but come on......use your head.  I don't think the Mom of the boy had any issues with breastfeeding in public.  

I still think it's absolutely ridiculous that you would choose to bf in a check-out line. And then to whip out your boob and explain about nursing to another person's child is absolutely insane. The least she could have done was apologize.  

• Options
    imageMelissaSue81:
    imageTelyco:

I pretty much agree with this. It really has nothing to do with BFing in public and everything to do with the fact that she leaked milk on someones kid and then instead of apologizing, she got all nasty about it AND put her boob in a kids face purposely. Thats RIDICULOUS!!!!!!

And this is when the "lactavists" just make giant boobs of themselves (yes, pun intended). Seriously, lady, a simple apology would have sufficed. Yes you can BF in public, great (totally support this, btw). Yes, the checkout line is a pretty ridiculous place to choose to do it, but you can certainly exercise your right to make bad decisions just like the moron whipping her tit out in the middle of aisle 5 (do not support this. I think discretion is fundamental). But squirting your milk on someone (accidentally or not) puts YOU in the wrong. Then having the nerve to get all self righteous about it... AND stuff your boob in some child's face?? Holy hell, I would have lost my ever loving mind. She's lucky she didn't squirt milk on me or my hypothetical child... I would likely not have been so polite if she would have muttered anything other than "I'm so sorry."
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I kinda wonder if this woman just was so embarrassed that this was just how she responded to the situation and got all defensive. I know I would be so embarrassed that I would just hope a giant hole opened up from the floor and swallowed me if I got milk on someone else. I don't agree with her actions... I nursed DD and did it plenty of times in public.. but I never could walk and nurse. I am just not talented like that.... She should have just apologized.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"