Adoption

Gift for a friend who just adopted?

Some friends of ours just adopted a little girl who is 14 months old. I've joined with another girl to host a "New Mommy Brunch" since my friends didn't really want to have a typical baby shower. My friend is a shopper in a major way, so she bought everything under the sun when she was getting ready to bring her daughter home. There is really nothing they need and she didn't register for anything.

Any thoughts on what to buy her? Not only do I want to get her something, but so do the ladies coming to brunch. I was thinking of a really nice picture frame or something along those lines, but once that idea is gone, I have no idea what to tell other people.

Thoughts?

Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Gift for a friend who just adopted?

• I have heard of people having a "book" shower where everyone brings their favorite children's book.  They don't all have to be "baby" books either since the baby will grow into reading whatever is brought. Another idea would be to get giftcards to children's boutiques/stores so she can shop in the future or memberships to a children's museum/Discovery place or the local zoo.  It won't be long  before that 14-m-o is ready for outings.
    dd(Brianna) 11/01/94, ds(Bram)10/17/95, ds(Jesse)9/26/97, dd (Annie Ruth) 7/27/05 5mc Jan '08, May '08, Feb '09, Sept '09, Apr '11 "And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one weak creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up." - Charles Dickens

PAL/PGAL Welcome

• You could always get them a session with a photographer to have some family photos taken. I also love the zoo/children's museum membership idea!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are looking for something sentimental, Etsy has some nice gifts.  Search adoption and adoptive mom. 

My personal favorite gifts are books.

A Mother for Choco and All Together Now are two adoption books that I love... esp if the child doesn't look like the parents. 

A favorite book in our house for a 13 month old is Ten Fingers Ten Toes.  Although it's not really about adoption, it feels like a adoption-type book (similarities between all babies and the love of a mama).  The good thing about this book is that it is age appropriate for your friend's LO. 

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • How sweet of you and your friends!  I really like the membership or photography session ideas, but that's just me :)  

I was also thinking maybe a Shutterfly or other photo book certificate might be nice. Or something along those lines if she's likely to be making lots of those in the coming years.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like the idea of books uur favorite adoption book: I Wished for You.

I LOVE the suggestions for gift cards, passes to the Zoo, and photography session.

June 2010-Lap
    b2b Injectable IUI #1 7/25/10 & 7/26/10 = BFP beta 14dpIUI = 133 MC 9/14 at 9 weeks
    b2b Injectable IUI #2 12/5/10 & 12/6/10 = BFN
    IVF #1 ER 3/28/11 ET 3 embryos 3/31/11= BFN
    b2b Injectable IUI#3 6/28/11 & 6/29/11 = BFN
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome :)

Submitted Adoption Application on 6/1/2011
    Homestudy 7/19/2011
    IVF#2 CX due to Adoption Match
    We were blessed with our daughter through the gift of adoption
    IVF #2.1 ET 2 embryos 2/14/13 7 frostiesLilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagefirecracker8:
    You could always get them a session with a photographer to have some family photos taken. I also love the zoo/children's museum membership idea!

Love the idea of a photo shoot with the new family! 

Unable to conceive due to emergency hysterectomy 11/04 Started our adoption journey 4/11 9/29/11- Officially waiting! 5/29/12- Our little boy is born and goes home with us the next day :-)
  • My most treasured gift after we adopted DD1 was a set of Christmas ornaments. One was her name and birth year (typical baby's first Christmas type, but very special to us since she was two when we first got her), and another celebrating her adoption date (4 years later). DD1 is almost 9 and these are the first ones she wants to hang every year.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"