Baby Names

Opinions on Dahlia?

Do you like Dahlia or Dalia more? What would you think of a girl named Dahlia? Any nickname ideas besides Dolly, Lia, and Ali?

Re: Opinions on Dahlia?

• I like Dahila much more :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Dahlia!!  Anyone watch that show Suburgatory?  There's a character Dahlia on the show.  It's gotten me into this name. 

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Definitely Dahlia!
  • Although NMS, I do think flower names are pretty.  So I definitely prefer Dahlia to Dalia.
  • It's ok. Prefer Dahlia. Not sure about NNs.
  • I definitely prefer Dahlia, and those are good choices for nns.
    Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Nest! Anniversary
    VOTE on my Name List image 7 anovulatory cycles, 1 cycle 50 mg clomid, 4 cycles 100mg clomid, HSG double blockage, hysteroscopy with cyst and debris removal, fermara/IUI attempt abandoned because of anovulation, follistim/IUI attempt coming soon!
  • I like this name. It was on my list, actually, but my husband thinks of the Black Dahlia right away and thinks it would be morbid. I think it's better with the H in it, and if you omit it, you might open it up to be pronounced so that the emphasis is on the second syllable.

No nickname ideas. I think that names that flow so well don't always need nicknames, though.

• imageMamasaurus:

I like this name. It was on my list, actually, but my husband thinks of the Black Dahlia right away and thinks it would be morbid. I think it's better with the H in it, and if you omit it, you might open it up to be pronounced so that the emphasis is on the second syllable.

No nickname ideas. I think that names that flow so well don't always need nicknames, though.

I prefer the spelling with the "h" as well. My husband and I also both immediately think of the Black Dahlia as well when we hear that name. I never disliked the name though, even have a cousin that we call Dalia, short for Ydalia (Hispanic name).

• What's the difference between Dahlia and Dalia? Just the spelling? Then Dahlia. It's correct.

For such a short name, I doubt there are too many other NN options. And honestly, Dolly is the only one that's intuitive. Lia and Ali are HUGE stetches, IMO.

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagealliejo725:

What's the difference between Dahlia and Dalia? Just the spelling? Then Dahlia. It's correct.

For such a short name, I doubt there are too many other NN options. And honestly, Dolly is the only one that's intuitive. Lia and Ali are HUGE stetches, IMO.

Dalia is Hebrew for Gentle or Branch. (Depends on the source.) Lithuanian for "Fate, Luck", and a part of Baltic Mythology, it's also the Spanish form of Dahlia. :)

• I like Dahlia, I think it's pretty but always makes me think of the Black Dahlia.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    blog
    Diagnosed hypothyroidism.
  • I like Dahlia more, but I don't love the Black Dahlia association so I'd never use it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I prefer Dahlia but both are actually nms

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Dahlia!! Soooo cute! and i love the nn Dolly, can't think of any others.
  • Love it! My top girls choice is Delilah which is similar. I like it better Dahlia. I cannot think of any other nicknames for it.
  • My neice's name is Dahlia,  I don't know why you would want to shorten it with a nn?  It is a very pretty name by itself. 
    image pregnancy calendar Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I prefer Dahlia. I would also pronounce them differently: Dahlia versus Daylia. Although I've heard Dahlia pronounced in the latter way, too.

Very pretty. 

• i prefer Dahlia.  The only Dahlia I know never used a nickname.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Dahlia - that's the way it's supposed to be spelled.

I wouldn't naturally give Dahlia a NN. It's a fine name on it's own without one, and I'm not a fan of NNs anyway.

I like Dahlia, but I think Delilah is prettier, personally, yet similar.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • I prefer Dahlia. That said, the first thing that comes to mind is the Black Dahlia.
  • I quite like Dahlia. I think a number of middle names could go with it, but I'd try to stick to one syllable and avoid other flower names (ex: Dahlia Rose).
  • imagebrookelynpaisley:

Dahlia - that's the way it's supposed to be spelled.

I wouldn't naturally give Dahlia a NN. It's a fine name on it's own without one, and I'm not a fan of NNs anyway.

I like Dahlia, but I think Delilah is prettier, personally, yet similar.

Dalia is a different name in itself, not mispelling.  

• I ADORE Dahlia.  Dolly is adorable.  Absolutely adorable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"