Pregnant after a Loss

XP- if you have Factor V Leiden or MTHFR I have a question :)

Hi ladies, just wondering if anyone here can help me out :)

Just popping over from ttcal. I have FVL & MTHFR (not sure if it's hetero or homo) and see an OBGYN and an RE. My RE would like me on Lovenox when I become pregnant. I am currently taking folic acid (not sure if it's folate or what) and baby aspirin daily (as well as thyroid meds). My question is will I need to be induced early due to these disorders? I carried my son to 40 weeks and went into labor naturally...but I did read something about having to be delivered early so just curious what you were told.

I also am wondering when you were told to start the Lovenox injections. I can't remember what my doctor said, but we'll be ttc next cycle so I can give him a call soon. Just curious about your experience, if you don't mind sharing. Is it really awful doing the injections?

TIA and happy & healthy 9 months to you!

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
~DD Born! 2013~
~DD due! 2015~

Re: XP- if you have Factor V Leiden or MTHFR I have a question :)

• I'm on lovenox from bfp through 6w PP. 

You can't get an epi while on lovenox, and they don't want you on any blood thinners at the time of delivery. So, the plan is to switch to heparin around 36w, and then stop meds a day or two before being induced around 39w.

I had to deliver dd early, and since I was in lovenox, I couldn't get an epi. So, they had to put me under general anesthesia when I delivered her, since I still had lovenox in my system from the night before.  

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• imagedamabo80:

I'm on lovenox from bfp through 6w PP. 

You can't get an epi while on lovenox, and they don't want you on any blood thinners at the time of delivery. So, the plan is to switch to heparin around 36w, and then stop meds a day or two before being induced around 39w.

I had to deliver dd early, and since I was in lovenox, I couldn't get an epi. So, they had to put me under general anesthesia when I delivered her, since I still had lovenox in my system from the night before.  

I would rather not get an epi...so would I still need to be induced, do you think?

Thanks for sharing your experience

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Loading the player...
  • imageManderlin923:
    imagedamabo80:

I would rather not get an epi...so would I still need to be induced, do you think?

Well, (I don't say this to be snarky, but instead this is your dr's idea):  you can "rather not" all day long, but your dr isn't going to plan on a blissful natural birth for you. Shlt happens. Babies can go into distress, you may not be able to take the pain, the baby can turn breech at the last moment, etc. there's too many variables which will kill the natural birth idea. 

Plus, when you're in blood thinners, it's easier to hemorrhage (I did). Ideally, you wouldn't want to hem mirage during birth, so they are trying to deliver you during that 1-2 day sweet spot where you're not on blood thinners, but before a blood clot could kill you or the baby.  That is the primary reason for induction. 

BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c

• imagedamabo80:
    imageManderlin923:
    imagedamabo80:

Well, (I don't say this to be snarky, but instead this is your dr's idea):  you can "rather not" all day long, but your dr isn't going to plan on a blissful natural birth for you. Shlt happens. Babies can go into distress, you may not be able to take the pain, the baby can turn breech at the last moment, etc. there's too many variables which will kill the natural birth idea. 

Plus, when you're in blood thinners, it's easier to hemorrhage (I did). Ideally, you wouldn't want to hem mirage during birth, so they are trying to deliver you during that 1-2 day sweet spot where you're not on blood thinners, but before a blood clot could kill you or the baby.  That is the primary reason for induction. 

I don't think my question came out right...but thanks for the info. I was just asking because the main reason I've heard women switch to heparin is to be able to get an epidural for pain relief or in case of c-section so you don't have to be put under GA. I wasn't sure if there's any other reason to switch to Heparin, like medical need or side effects to baby from lovenox or something, if that makes sense. This is all new to me as I had no clue I even had any of these problems when I was pg with my son or had him. It's a lot to take in.

Also, I realize induction is a possibility since I'd be high risk, but my doctor never mentioned it before and I just now was reading about it in regards to these disorders and wanted a little clarity on why it's done before I bring it up with her.

I will have to ask my doctor, obviously for more info. Thanks! 

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• I was also on Lovenox from BFP and will be on it until 6 weeks pp.  At 34 weeks, I was switched to Heparin.  My plan at that point was to see if I went into labor on my own and to try a vaginal delivery (epi or not was not decided), but if I didn't go into labor by my EDD I would have a scheduled C.  I ended up having a scheduled C at 39 weeks due to my BP and was able to have a spinal for the surgery.  My last shot of Heparin had been the night before and my surgery was the late the next afternoon.

As far as the actual shots themselves, they burn but you get used to them pretty quickly.  Definitely pinch where you are going to do the injection.  Some people swear by using ice before and/or after, but it's never helped me.  You will get bruises, especially in the beginning.  Make sure you switch up where you are getting the shot and stay at least 2 inches from your belly button. 

Best of luck to you!

TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
  • imageEris-Alexis:

I was also on Lovenox from BFP and will be on it until 6 weeks pp.  At 34 weeks, I was switched to Heparin.  My plan at that point was to see if I went into labor on my own and to try a vaginal delivery (epi or not was not decided), but if I didn't go into labor by my EDD I would have a scheduled C.  I ended up having a scheduled C at 39 weeks due to my BP and was able to have a spinal for the surgery.  My last shot of Heparin had been the night before and my surgery was the late the next afternoon.

As far as the actual shots themselves, they burn but you get used to them pretty quickly.  Definitely pinch where you are going to do the injection.  Some people swear by using ice before and/or after, but it's never helped me.  You will get bruises, especially in the beginning.  Make sure you switch up where you are getting the shot and stay at least 2 inches from your belly button. 

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely keep those in mind. Do you go back on Lovenox after birth or stay on Heparin until the 6 weeks?

I have heard that Heparin leaves the body quicker so you can still get a spinal/epi if needed, so that's good in case of a c-section. I would rather not be put under GA- I always react badly to it. thanks for sharing your story!

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• imageManderlin923:
    imagedamabo80:
    imageManderlin923:
    imagedamabo80:

I don't think my question came out right...but thanks for the info. I was just asking because the main reason I've heard women switch to heparin is to be able to get an epidural for pain relief or in case of c-section so you don't have to be put under GA. I wasn't sure if there's any other reason to switch to Heparin, like medical need or side effects to baby from lovenox or something, if that makes sense. This is all new to me as I had no clue I even had any of these problems when I was pg with my son or had him. It's a lot to take in.

Also, I realize induction is a possibility since I'd be high risk, but my doctor never mentioned it before and I just now was reading about it in regards to these disorders and wanted a little clarity on why it's done before I bring it up with her.

I will have to ask my doctor, obviously for more info. Thanks! 

in something like 1% of the cases, lovenox has been linked to iugr. Therefore, my ob did weekly/biweekly (I can't remember now) growth u/s starting at week 30

BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c

• I started lovenox after my hcg confirmed a healthy pregnancy- basically the day they saw it double. I will switch to hep at 36w. We haven't discussed birth yet but I'm not allowed to go past my due date so I will be will induced if I make it there. If there is any risk in the slightest to the baby I would have to have a c-section. I had an epidural when delivering my son and I plan to have one even if I do get to have a natural birth. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks ladies. I did not know that about the IUGR so that's good to know.

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancies! I hope to join you soon!

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"