Special Needs

New here.. ADHD

My 5 1/2 y.o. has been struggling with his focus/attention for a few years. His Kinder teacher says he never finishes the work during class and that he is the only one that doesn't.  Then he cries out of frustration because he isn't done. He gets up during homework time (in class) and is easily distracted and plays with his hands or whatever and is slightly disruptive. Similar issues at home ..so, after completing the Vanderbilt screening, pedi suggested Ritalin.  What are your experiences with this med and any other thoughts/suggestions?  We are at the beginning of all of this so navigating it all is a bit overwhelming!

Thanks! 

Re: New here.. ADHD

• Thank you for your input.  We are really uncertain about all of this and since this is so new, basically following the pedi's suggestions right now.  My son does have an IEP (for speech) so we will be meeting with the Sp Ed teachers to adjust that.  Some of the things you mentioned have been done (movement breaks, seating arrangements) and there has been little improvement (although, this is not over a long period of time.)  The Ritalin will be given twice a day so we'll see how that works.  I am not a huge fan of medicating him, however, his success in social settings is limited and his frustration with his inability to "control himself" (his words) makes me want to really get him some assistance so that he doesn't spiral downward emotionally because of this. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"