2nd Trimester

Probably sounds like a FTM question...

Although this is my second pregnancy, I just kinda thought of something I never realized before.  Should I be wearing gloves when I'm doing household cleaning with chemicals?  I wipe our bathrooms and door knobs down with Chlorox bleach wipes every few days during flu season and realized maybe I shouldn't be touching those things directly with my hands.

So, do you ladies use gloves when cleaning, and I'm being paranoid?  I have an OB appointment tomorrow, so I can ask there, but I assume she'll just say "wear gloves, better safe than sorry" since she seems to never like me doing/touching/eating anything, ha!

Re: Probably sounds like a FTM question...

• I wouldn't worry about the Clorox wipes. Those things are so diluted.

I don't think there is anything "special" about your skin right now as far as needing to wear gloves because you're pregnant. Personally if I'm using harsher chemicals I like to wear them anyway. I'd be more concerned about what you're breathing in. If you're using straight up bleach make sure the area is well-ventilated and don't expose yourself for too long. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • You could always switch cleaners to more natural ones. I like method and ecover, but straight up vinegar works for most household tasks too, and is super cheap. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I clean a house 2/3 days a week and was concerned about all the chemicals.  My OB told me to only worry about long use and to worry about smelly cleaners.  So like Pledge or if you were using bleach from a bottle.  She said the rest of it is fine.  I do wear gloves most of the time but there are just times that gloves are so inconvenient.  I wouldn't worry about wipes.  It's one of the things she told me is perfectly safe.  And you can buy alternative natural ones that are safer if you are really worried about it.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the suggestions.  My new years resolution is actually to use more environmentally friendly cleaners, but I decided I'd finish what I have first.  I still use vinegar and water a lot.  

I appreciate the input! 

• My husband cleans the bathroom...Smile
  • I don't use anything other than the 'green' cleaning supplies like Simple Green and homemade cleaners like baking soda, vinegar & water, etc. I'm big on cleaning the fridge and even before I was pregnant I would NEVER use bleach or harsh chemicals of any kind in a place where we store our food! Same goes for the microwave, oven, etc. The rest of the house gets Simple Green, and my husband finds some kind of joy in cleaning the bathroom which he does with a combo of baking soda, vinegar, water, and green cleaning supplies for certain areas. I think all that harsh stuff like Clorox, Windex, Pledge etc is pretty toxic, pregnant or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"