August 2012 Moms
Options

Hello and Interview Question

Hey Ladies,

I am going to be a first time mom and just had my very first u/s today...AMAZING!!  I am 11 weeks 4 days along!    

I had an interview today for a job that I REALLY would love. They asked in the interview if I had any kids, my answer was "no."  Then they asked if I'm planning on having kids.  Yikes!  I haven't even told many friends or family members about this yet.  I was honest in telling them I plan on having them in the future, but I feel SO GUILTY!  What would you have done in this situation?  

I am really excited to be joining you all on this adventure!   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hello and Interview Question

• Options

Are these even legal questions for an interview?

When I was doing interview's we were NOT aloud to ask personal questions. period.

~Those who do not believe in love at first sight have obviously never given birth~ <a href="http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j380/Caitlyn_Blake/?action=view
  • Options
    I would feel guilty, too because that is the kind of person I am, however, agree with above. Those are not questions that decide whether you are qualified or not for the job. I would have said/done the same thing. If you are chosen for the job and get hired and you start, then I would tell them or just let them find out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yeah, it is totally not okay to have those questions asked in an interview.  You answered properly, but for future notice, you shouldn't have to answer at all.

And congrats on the pregnancy!

"And on the keyboard, the Big D himself, Rusty Shackleford!"
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    i kinda had the same thing with my last job interview, but a little different.  one of my 3 guys (now my bosses) was a friend of one of DH co-workers and was aware that we'd been trying to have a family.  so this came up in the interview process, but more because it's a part time job w/o bene's.  said i didn't need them thankd to DH's job.  anyway, i know its a taboo subject, but i can't lie worth anything, so when they asked if we were planning on a family in the future, i said yes we were, but with my history it could take a while.  They've been really cool about it so far, but i understand (having been a recruiter) that this is a topic highly discouraged even though employers seem to have it alot.  i think out of the 15-20 interviews i went on, all but one or two asked if we had/were going to have a family any time soon.
    10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
  • Options
    It is against the law to ask those question! If you don't get the job then you could cause major deal out of it.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    RED FLAG! They should NOT and legally cannot be asking those questions in an interview. Wow.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby #2
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageLoveOfMikesLife:
    It is against the law to ask those question! If you don't get the job then you could cause major deal out of it.

This^

~Those who do not believe in love at first sight have obviously never given birth~ <a href="http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j380/Caitlyn_Blake/?action=view
  • Options
    Yeah, what other people have said, most definitely illegal. 
  • Options
    That is illegal! So I'm glad you didn't reveal!
  • Options
    I like your answer! Honest but didn't totally out yourself! You might want to consider (just consider) outting yourself though before you accept the job. While it could potentially hold them back from a job offer, at least you set an honest precedent for yourself, and you will find out upfront whether they are going to be jerks about family-related issues down the line.
  • Options
    just what everyone else is saying- totally inappropriate and against the law. I think you did a very good job answering the questions, esp. since it's really none of their business. In one of my public speaking classes in college awhile back they said that if you are even in an interview and they ask you a question like that, you are not obligated in any way to answer them, just respond with "i'm not really sure what that has to do with my capability to perform well at my job." Just for future reference :-) Good luck and I hope you get the job! 
  • Options
    imageAmbsies:

imagekikimo327:
    That has no bearing on how you can do the job and is completely inappropriate on their part.  

ITA.  Don't feel guilty.

this 

TTC #2 since June '08

~*DD 10.21.07*~

dx unexplained

IUI #1-4 BFN

IVF#1 June 2011 BFN

IVF#2 Dec 2011

Beta#1 12/21 : 812 Beta#2 12/23 : 1634

EDD 8/25

*PAIFW/SAIFW*

• Options
    this happened to me just last night! i was on my second interview and they asked if i had kids, i said just my SOs daughter who we have on weekends. they said so no childcare issues? i said no.. none of which was a total lie..
    Shane 8/19/12 Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    I wouldn't feel guilty, plus they are definitely NOT allowed to ask you that as part of the interview.
    First Baby image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all for your answers!  They made me feel way better about the situation. I am going back for a second interview on Monday...to out myself or not, that is the new dilemma!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"