July 2012 Moms

the absolute bare essentials

What are the absolute bare essentials that I would need for a newborn? There is a distinct possibility that we will have to move overseas a month or two after the baby gets here. And if not, certainly after a year. Assuming we just have two months here, I do not want to buy things that will have to be sold/ given away the next minute. I've seen the posts about what to buy etc, but I am looking for advice on the absolute bare essentials - ideally, some of these things will have dual purposes.

I am a first time mom who knows little about baby-related practical issues. I haven't been around babies, do not know any new moms, am generally clueless. I will only have time to read up/ educate myself 6 weeks before the baby gets here. I wonder about things like.. can a baby sleep in a car seat for two months? (Do infant car seats let them lay down horizontally?) Hubby was not impressed when I joked about building it a manger to sleep in ("if it was good enough for God, why isn't it good enough for our kid?"), the day after I talked about baby proofing an open drawer for the baby. So any help with the absolute bare essentials would be appreciated. We plan to buy a car seat, diapers, a pacifier, blanket, feeding bottle, baby clothes. I guess we will have to get a crib if the car seat doesn't work. Anything else that a newborn simply cannot live without? And what can I place it in when it is not asleep, during the day time? Its car seat? or does it just live in its crib when it is that little?

Re: the absolute bare essentials

• If you live in a metro area, check Craigslist.  You could get a rock-n-play or a pack-n-play for $20 or so used (just make sure pack-n-play is a newer model that hasn't been recalled) for the baby to sleep in.  
    Photobucket Expecting #3/4 after a long battle with infertility. Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Some place safe for them to sleep. Diapers Food (BM or formula) Car seat Clothes and blankets to keep them warm Those are the bare essentials (unless you don't have a car, then take the car seat off) Blankets on the floor are a great place to place a newborn while you cook dinner, etc but babywearing would work too. A pack n play could be used for sleep now until about age 2, though it can be bulky. I've heard car seats are not some place for infants to sleep for physical development issues specifically regarding the hips and legs. Sorry no formatting. Posting from my phone.
    DS#1 - 8/2009
    CafeMom Tickers

my read shelf:

Cindy's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • I was thinking one of those pea pod things that fold up would be ideal for your situation for baby to sleep in and could be used for quite awhile.  

https://www.amazon.com/Kidco-Pea-Indoor-Outdoor-Travel/dp/B000G7OMBK

Other than that, you seem to have the basics.  Don't forget some sort of all-purpose blankets/burp cloths (maybe the anais brand) for keeping warm, swaddling, wiping up spit.   

I wouldn't want my baby sleeping in a car seat for an extended period. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's more expensive but as an alternative to a pack-and-play the Guava family Go Crib has excelent reviews packs down to a backpack and weighs about 10 lbs. 

https://www.guavafamily.com/ 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"