Infertility

"Risk" of multiple birth

I've seen this on websites and my RE also referred to this last week.  Is this really a "risk"?  I get that we don't all want to be Octomom, but honestly, I'd be overjoyed with twins.

Is there something I am missing on why multiples would be an undesirable outcome of IF treatment?

Thanks!

DOR and AMA
2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
Follow up testing in September all clear;
Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
12/12- Officially an OB patient!
Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

Re: "Risk" of multiple birth

• I believe that any time you are carrying more than one baby, you may be at higher risk of complications such as gestational diabetes.
    imageimage
    Me: 35 DH: 30 TTC since 1/2010 DX: 6/15/2011: MFI IVF with ICSI

IVF #1: Sept 2011: Beta 10/10- BFP!! 1st u/s 10/31/11 1 blighted ovum, 1 embryo 2nd u/s 11/14/11 stopped growing, no h/b D/C 11/17/11

IVF #2: FET 5/4/12 : Beta 5/16/12 BFN

IVF #3: ET 7/6/12 : 7/18 Beta #1 BFP at 246, 7/20 Beta #2 at 713, 7/27 Beta #3 at 9068. 1st u/s 8/7 with one lovely hb.
    Mabel is here! 2/17/13!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • There is potential risks for both the mother and babies.  PP link is a good summary.
    Me: 35 DH: 37 TTC since 4/2010
    DX: 6/9/2011: Azoo ICSI/IVF only option for biological child
    IVF #1: ER - 9/26 * ET - 10/1 * beta#1 10/13 - 140 * beta#2 10/17 - 477 * beta#3 10/20 - 1101
    1st u/s at 6w6d - one hb * 2nd u/s at 8w3d - no hb detected 11/10/11 * natural m/c 11/13/11
    FET #1 Jan/Feb 2012 - 3 delays - cancelled 2/13
    FET #1.2 - May/June 2012 - ET 6/6/* beta#1 6/15 - 95 * beta #2 6/19 - 322 * beta #3 6/22 - 940
    7/6 1st u/s @ 7 weeks - one beautiful hb - released from RE
    EDD 2/22/2013
    PAIF/SAIF/PGAL welcome
    imageimageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • For centuries woman have had twins and triplets, as long as the mother is healthy things should go fine. They over scare patients so that if things go wrong they don't get blamed. Personally I will be overjoyed even with all my issues to have twins because its a 2 for 1 deal as we pay OOP.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• imagebrooklynesque:
    Here's a good article on the subject.  (Sorry can't make clicky.)  https://www.shadygrovefertility.com/newsitem/npr-reports-taming-twin-trend-fertility-treatments

Great article. I'd always known that twins tend to be less healthy and have slightly lower IQs, but I didn't realize how common more serious problems were. Thanks for sharing.

• Warning **SAIF ticker**

There is most definitely a risk.  I went on bedrest at 25 weeks.  I went into Preterm Labor the first time at 29 weeks, in which a neonatologist came down to talk to me about what my babies would be facing if they came that day, and it included bleeding of the brain, being on a vent, weeks/months in the hospital, along with possible other consequences-Long term consequences-cerebral palsy, developmental delays, vision/heart/feeding issues.

Then they tried to come again at 32 weeks.  I spent more time on hospital bedrest.  And on home bedrest.  I was out of work for almost 10 weeks before they came-luckily I had full payment of my salary the whole time, and it didn't impact my ability to take another almost 17 weeks-I was definitely one of the lucky ones.

A twin pregnancy was hard on me physically-and I was one of the lucky ones that got to over 35 weeks with my twins and it included no NICU time.  I thank my lucky stars many, many times that I did not lose my twins prematurely, or that we didn't have weeks or months of NICU time.  A local news anchor had her twins at the exact same time as I went into PTL and delivered her boys.  They were in the NICU for 11 weeks. The financial cost, the emotional and physical difficulties-all associated with your children born prematurely.  60% of twins are both prematurely, and 90% of triplets are as well. 

You are also are twice as likely to experience pre-eclampsia if carrying twins, and your risk for Gestational diates increases as well.  The risks involved with both of these impact both the health of the mother as well as the babies.  We think that my DS had interuterine growth restriction due to the pre-eclampsia that I was experiencing.  If my pre-eclampsia had been severe enough, I could have had a stroke.  We luckily caught it in time.  Other issues include placenta previa, premature rupture of the membranes, as well as post-delivery hemorrhage. 

I love my twins-and it was worth everything I went through to get them-but I also wouldn't wish the struggles and risks to me and my children.  We were very lucky to have two healthy babies-but we got extremely lucky.   There are many people who have their twins before they are viable. 

I was very happy we were pregnant with twins-but I also didn't realize how much of a risk I was taking.   There is a higher risk of post-partum depression/anxiety.  Another impact-parents of multiples are at a higher risk of divorce-the increased costs involved, less sleep, etc impacting the relationship of the parents.

I think it is a fine line to walk between decreasing risks associated with multiples and the increased chance of success.  Twins is hard-but IF was hard as well.  I don't think twins are bad-I just don't think the reality of twins is what most people think of when they think about getting pregnant with twins.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageluvboston:
    For centuries woman have had twins and triplets, as long as the mother is healthy things should go fine. They over scare patients so that if things go wrong they don't get blamed. Personally I will be overjoyed even with all my issues to have twins because its a 2 for 1 deal as we pay OOP.

I bet you could take that statement over to the Multiples board and get quite a few "healthy women" who had complications--bedrest, pre-term birth, etc.  Healthy =/= an easy pregnancy or healthy babies.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKdgTeacher:

imageluvboston:
    For centuries woman have had twins and triplets, as long as the mother is healthy things should go fine. They over scare patients so that if things go wrong they don't get blamed. Personally I will be overjoyed even with all my issues to have twins because its a 2 for 1 deal as we pay OOP.

I bet you could take that statement over to the Multiples board and get quite a few "healthy women" who had complications--bedrest, pre-term birth, etc.  Healthy =/= an easy pregnancy or healthy babies.

Yeah, agreed. That's a pretty ignorant statement to make. 

ETA: there are multitudes of dangers that go along with "just" twins surrounding their early births, too. Retinopathy of prematurity (vision problems), breathing problems, learning disabilities, higher likelihood of getting RSV, heart defects... the list goes on. Then add in daycare/health insurance/medical bills for two. Add in the increased likelihood of bedrest and being out of work earlier + all the risks to the mother that PPs have mentioned like pre-eclampsia, etc.

Go lurk on the preemies board or the multiples board - multiples aren't just a walk in the park.

• Yes, you AND your babies are at a much higher risk of complications. I'd definitely do some research if you do not believe this. It's there. In addition, i''ve worked in nicu for over 6 years and can say with certainty, having multiples greatly increases these risks. Yes, there are plenty of healthy twins too, but your risk is increased. Shady grove has really pioneered the way for the sET. They have shown that the sET is cost effective when it comes to the potential costs of complications of a multiple pregnancy.

DH: Severe MFI/Azoo Me: Compound heterozygous MTHFR
    IVF #1= m/c- methotrexate @6w2d
    FET #1= BFN
    IVF #2= m/c- D&C @8w5d
    IVF #3= Beta #1 9dp5dt= 252, Beta #2 11dp5dt= 417, Beta #3 17dp5dt= 4,952
    US #2 @ 7w2d= twins, baby B measuring behind
    US #3 @ 8w5d= Baby A doing well, no HR in baby B
    *S/PAIF always welcome* BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageSLPMel:

I think it is a fine line to walk between decreasing risks associated with multiples and the increased chance of success.  Twins is hard-but IF was hard as well.  I don't think twins are bad-I just don't think the reality of twins is what most people think of when they think about getting pregnant with twins.

I couldn't agree more with what SLPMel said.  

At first, DH and I were dead-set against twins for all of the reasons PPs mentioned... higher risk pregnancy for me, higher risk of complications for the babies, not to mention the insane amount of work and stress associated with bringing home not one but two newborns!  We were pro-eSET all the way and we went into our ET planning to transfer 1 high quality blast. 

Then our embryo quality went to hell, and the RE told us in the procedure room to transfer the best three, and even with that, our first IVF cycle failed.  Now, while we still recognize the risks of a twin pregnancy, we have to weigh those risks against the emotional and financial risks of another failed cycle. 

It's a tough spot to be in.  We would still prefer a singleton but DH and I actually just had a conversation today in which we agreed that our feelings towards twins had changed.  We know that in the future we may be at risk for multiples because of having to transfer multiple embryos due to our quality issues.  And I think we've made peace with that, and would welcome twins... but it's not at all a decision we've made lightly. 

If I could close my eyes and pick two singletons instead, I would.  But that's not the way IF works.  This whole thing is one giant gamble.

Severe MFI. Me: supposedly all clear but eggs showed vacuoles.

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

imageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

• I know a lot of us would love to have twins especially with the struggles we have gone through so far.  Although, having multiples does increase your risk for complications to you and your babies.  This is what your RE wants you to be aware of.
  • Risk??????? I lost twins at almost 20 weeks due to PTL. I was healthy as were they. No matter how healthy, some peoples bodies cant handle twins. Im sorry, I just hate the "id be overjoyed with twins" comments. Just realize that not all is happy in twin land and its never going to be a normal pregnancy.
  • As a patient of Shady Grove, I have been given plenty of literature about the risks of multiple pregnancy. They are very upfront about the dangers and they really encourage patients to transfer one embryo, when appropriate. DH and I did an eSET last time and (pending quality) I think we will do an eSET again. Not only are there dozens of dangers in carrying a twin pregnancy, but parenting twins is hard work! My SIL has twins from an IUI cycle. She had a beautiful pregnancy and delivered full term twins. But, recently she had abdominal surgery to repair a split in her stomach muscles and correct her prolapsed bladder. The stress of the pregnancy was so difficult on her (very healthy) body. And, I've seen how hard it has been to parent two babies/toddlers/children. She always says she feels like she hasn't been the parent she wanted to be because of he demands on her attention. When we told her we were doing an eSET, she was thrilled. 

It's hard not to get wrapped up in the "two for one" hype, but at the end of the day, a multiple pregnancy and parenting multiples is a difficult and risky task.

TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• imageDesiraeSunshine:
    Risk??????? I lost twins at almost 20 weeks due to PTL. I was healthy as were they. No matter how healthy, some peoples bodies cant handle twins. Im sorry, I just hate the "id be overjoyed with twins" comments. Just realize that not all is happy in twin land and its never going to be a normal pregnancy.

Exactly this, and DesiraeSunshine is not the only person on this board that experienced the complications firsthand with a twin pregnancy.  Does it sound nice to have a "2 for 1 deal"?  Yes.  Do most twins go on to be healthy newborns?  Yes.  But is there increased risks associated with twin pregnancies?  YES!!!  Your doctor doesn't make up risk warnings just to scare you - they're real! 

me 33/DH 36
    ttc since 10/2008; d/x: mild MFI, stageII endo
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~
    11 IUI’s = 1 m/c (7w4d)
    IVF#1 January 2012 BFN, FET #1 April 2012 BFN
    Surprise BFP October 2012 m/c (7w), Surprise BFP April 2013 m/c (6w4d)
    IVF #2: July 2013, ET 1 embryo 7/18, beta 1 @ 14dp3dt - 757, beta 2 @ 16dp3dt - 1762
    U/S 1 @ 6w4d = 1 little frogger with HB of 118, U/S 2 @ 7w3d measuring right on track with HB of 160
    Stick Frogger Stick! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It's a Girl, EDD April 7, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• OMG I should not have read this thread as I just transferred 2 blasts.  Of course, of course, I will be thrilled if they both stick, but now I'm extra terrified.  Mixed emotions!

TTC since September 2009.

IVF #2: +HPT 2/6/12! ~ Boy/Girl Twins!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ****lurking/ siggy warning******

I'm a product of IVF/twin pg, and while i'm overjoyed with being pg with twins, there are risks. Pre term labor, low birth weights, NICU babies, bed rest and the list goes on. Like I said I'm really happy after 3 IVF cycles that we are having twins, but the fear is sometimes almost paralyzing. Not to say you wouldn't have that in a singleton pg but your risk is higher with multiples. You also have to have closer monitoring by and MFM to make sure they are growing. plus (again not complaining) you have to in a way grieve the loss of a "normal" pregnacy and birth experience. it also depends on what kind of twins you get mono/mono mono/di di/di. basically are they sharing a sac and placenta. di/di twins are at least risk because they have their own sac and own placenta. then think about when the babies do come.... your up all night with 2 babies changing 2 butts, breasfeeding 2 mouths. I am so grateful at this point but at the same time i would be lying if i didn't kind of think how it would be with one. i'm worried about sharing the love if you know what i mean. hope this helps

****lurker out****

• Thanks, ladies.  I appreciate all your perspectives.  I am relatively new to TTC- due to my age and extremely low AMH my GYN sent me directly to an RE.  It helps to learn from all of your experience- I understand now.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• Sig warning and pg mentioned

Yes that is a REAL risk. I am currently pg with triplets (almost 12 weeks) and this pregnancy has been one big ball of stress. When I sat down with my MFM he laid out all the risks with carrying multiples. Even carrying a singleton carries risks but they are magnified when carrying multiples. I have been told that the best they can hope for is a 34 week birth and 5 lb babies - Mind you - that is the best. I know a number of fertility clinics are beginning to view higher order multiples as a failure of the system.

As far as as long "as the mother is healthy" bit - that is a load of non-sense. It helps if the mother starts off healthy but that does not always equal healthy babies or a desirable outcome.

Good luck! 

TTC 1/2010 DH Dx - Azoospermia 2/2011
    Hysteroscopy 3/2011 2 Polyps removed 4/2011
    DH on Clomid / Arimidex to address hormonal issues - Sperm found July 2011!
    IVF #1 September 2011 - ER 9/8/2011- 8R, 5M - icsi - 1 made it to transfer - BFFN :-(
    IVF #2 Lucky November 2011 - ER 11/25/2011 - 15 eggs!, 13 mature, 10 fertilized with isci - 7 made it to transfer! Transferred 1 - 8 cell and 2 - 7 cell. BFP!!!!
    1st U/S - Twins! 2nd U/S - 3 heartbeats!!! - HOLY COW!!!
    Prayers for our take home babies!
    2 babies born on 3/27/12 and lost. Last baby born on 3/29/12 and lost at 20 weeks.
    My angels grew wings shortly after birth.
    Ahava Raisel, Matisyahu Nissim & Zev Chaim - Mommy and Daddy will always love you.
    IVF #3 July 2012 - ER 7/17/2012 - 10 R. 5 F. 4 made it to ET
    Transferred 2 on 7/20/2012 no snow babies :-(
    Beta on 7/31/2012 = BFMFN
    A miracle gift expected to come to us through adoption around 9/2012
    Baby girl adopted - Birth Mother changed her mind and took the baby back
    IVF #4 October 2012 - New RE. Doing PGD Testing. 8 R, 7F, 2 made it to 5 day blast for PDG testing. Both Normal (Thank you G-d!!!) 1 boy and 1 girl
    transferred one beautiful 5day blast (girl)
    Please G-d the almighty one - let this be our take home baby!
    Beta #1 158, Beta #2 318, 1 Absolutely magnificent HB at 175! Thank you G-d!!!
    Baby Girl born August 5th. Thank you G-d for our precious miracle.
    AMA. PAIF & SAIF always welcome - I need all the prayers I can get!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • *lurker here too*

See my siggy for the risks involved in having twins.  I was ecstatic at the thought of getting "2 for the price of 1" but instead got 0. And I had to say goodbye to my beautiful daughter and son.  Crying  I'm a very healthy person who went to appointments every other week and was seen by some of the best doctors in the Northeast. You just never know what will happen, especially with a first pregnancy.  The doctors say if I had a singleton pregnancy, I probably would have gone full term. The RE refuses to transfer more than 1 embryo at a time now, so no more twins for me. And I can't believe I have to start this process all over again. I do wish you the best of luck and hope you never have to experience this pain.

IVF #1 BFP b/g twins!; loss at 23 weeks due to I.C. and PTL. IVF #2 BFP 5/26/12; due date 2/6/13; TAC surgery 7/20/12, blessed with another girl & boy! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I guess it boils down to what you can handle.  Some people don't want, can't afford or would prefer not to have 2 children.  Two at the same time the same age is an even bigger responsibility.  My aunt had IF issues for way longer than I went through and wound up with twin girls.  I helped her one summer and will never forget how hard it was.  So I was really afraid that I would get pregnant with twins (triplets or more were very unlikely).  My RE put me on femara instead of clomid, monitored the follies, we weren't doing IVF - but I still worried about it.  I held my breath at every u/s until they assured me it was only 1.  I knew then and know now how selfish that sounds, with other people wishing for anything they could be blessed with, but it's how I felt.  Of course it sounds silly now.  Had I had twins I would have managed somehow.  When we start TTC again I won't worry about it.  Being a FTM I just didn't think I could handle 2 babies but now that I have one I know I could.  I think the "risk" drs are referring to is more of the octomom situation because that many babies puts mom and babies at more of a health risk. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ::facepalm::
  • Points to my signature. 

Twins carry a very high risk and having to give birth to your babies and watch them die (especially after going through IVF) is absolutely heartbreaking and I would never wish on my worst enemy.

I know it is hard to avoid multiples with ART and the cost etc. but yes getting pregnant with twins lowers your chance of getting a take home baby.  (All of this said knowing that there is also plenty of successful twin pregnancies.)

TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"