Food Allergy
Options

Elecare and seeing an improvement?

Our daughter was diagnosed with a milk-protein allergy, and we were recently switched to Elecare (she was on Alimentum for 4 weeks, still had significant mucus and blood in her stool). She's always been a fussy eater... since starting Elecare last Friday, it hasn't improved at all. Today, she's cried, squirmed, fussed and pushed the bottle out of her mouth at almost every feeding. She's on zantac for reflux, but hasn't been refluxing the formula. Ultrasound of her gallbladder, etc, came back normal last week.

So, does it take awhile to see improvement when switching? I'm so frustrated. I realize that it probably takes awhile for her "insides" to heal, but shouldn't I be seeing some kind of change? Should I be concerned that there's something else going on? I feel so guilty because I hate feeding times... Any thoughts or experiences? Thank you!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image

Re: Elecare and seeing an improvement?

• Options
    We are on Neocate which is like Elecare.  Our pedi had said to give her 3-5 days to know if its working and a full 2 weeks to see its full effect.  She was fussy and her reflux became worse until exactly day 5.  You will see an increase in reflux when changing formula.  She may be silent refluxing and its not coming out so you may not necessarily know...that may be why she is fussy.  The blood in her diarrhea went away after 3 days and mucous after a week.   HTH, good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It took DS a little over 3 weeks to improve and then about a month for the blood to be totally gone. Our GI said the average is 2 weeks and some babies just take a little longer. Hope it works for you soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We just saw the GI today and he says it can take up to 6 weeks to really see the change depending on how inflammed and upset the GI tract is.  He says usually you see changes with the reflux in 2 weeks (if not we need to change drugs) and then the stools and stomach pains should be better by 6 weeks.  He says usually it is sooner but it can take the full 6 weeks.
    Brenda & Phillip married 10/10/09 

After 6 years of failed cycles, we were blessed with our little man through adoption. 
    B born 1/3/2012. Adoption finalized 12/27/12

Back  on the IF crazy train...
    Sept 2013 - IVF #1 -  BFP, EDD 6/4/14, born 6/8/14
    Everyone welcome

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"