Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Hypospadia?

I am jumping over from 0-3 because I hope some of you can help ease my mind better.

My son has a very slight case of hypospadia, therefore no circumcision in the hospital.  We went to see the peds urologist at Childrens and he wants us to come back at 5 months for a better idea of what will need to be done and then surgery at 6-12 months. 

If any of you had a son that had hypospadia, what was your experience?  Did it require surgery?  How long was the surgery?  How was the anesthesia tolerated?  If he was circumcised after, how did he tolerate recovery?

TIA!!!

Re: Hypospadia?

• Options

My son also had a slight case of hypospadia, and we've already had it fixed. We saw our ped. urologist at 1 month, 3 months, and had surgery at 5 1/2 months. It probably was worse on me and my husband than it was on him.

Surgery lasted about 1 1/2. We were with him during "prep", and then they took him from us at the surgery doors. He was still awake when they took him (I wasn't prepared for that. For some reason, I thought we'd get to be with him until he was out.) I had my husband hand him off to the doctor which I think was better for him.

He had no problem with anesthesia at all. I will warn you, when you first see him in recovery is the hardest part. They don't look great coming out anesthesia and are a little disoriented/out of it. We were in recovery about an hour before they released us. He had a bottle of pedialyte there.

Circumsion was part of the process for us. It all happened that day, because of the way my guy's hypospadias presented.

We had to double diaper as he had a catheter for a week. We cut a slit in the first diaper and pulled the catheter through. We used a diaper size up for the outer diaper. The first couple of nights were rough as he was up every few hours for pain medication and a diaper change. His eating was off for a few days, but nothing major. We went back after a week for a check and to remove the catheter. I do know some people who have had to have the catheter in longer.  We were sent home with an antibiotic, pain reliever and medication to suppress bladder spasms (which happen because of the catheter). The antibiotic gave him diarehhea so they had us stop that after 2 days.

By day 3, he was just about his normal self. He had some restricted activity (no jumperoo or straddling anything) and no tummy time for a little while.

It was a rough couple of weeks for me, but looking back now, it doesn't seem like it was that big of a deal. I would make sure you have a way to get ahold of your doctor (or someone) at all times. I had the pager number for both our doctor and the head resident. We did use it in the middle of the night on the 2nd or 3rd night because when I changed his diaper there was some blood in his urine. It was nice being able to get in touch with them immediately (and be reassured that what we were seeing was normal and not to worry).

• Options
    sounds like an ordeal...my DS has this - they didn't notice until after he was circ'd so it's not major however the urologist wants to look at it at a year and see...it hasn't changed at all since he was born so i'm not sure...we don't want him to look different down there so will likely get it fixed! i'm not looking forward to it because of how traumatic the circ was for me!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My DS has hypospadia. We are having surgery to correct it next week. Sorry I can't be a little more help. I have found some good information from a group on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/5424041195/

They said it is about an two hour surgery, then an hour in recovery. He will have a catheter in for a week, no physical activity for a week. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"